Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Barry Grant"sea Demon" carb...

Hollis
    The new Barry Grant 750"Sea Demon" carb would look great on my 46o! Deos any one have an oppinion before I order it..? should I go with vac. secondarys and electric choke? idea

novaguy
    All I could say is that this carb is awesome. I had one on my boat before it got stolen. A little expensive, but I think they are worth it. I had a 750cfm mechanical secondary since I have a jet. Good choice of carb and they look sweet!

spectras only
    Hollis , since you're not in california/arizona ,I would go for the electric choke model for good starting.I think the vacuum sec works well for most application. The 460 works good with bigger carbs and I would go to 800 or 850 for that matter.I had holleys from 600 and up on BBF and the bigger the better wink .Just my .02 cdn

Hollis
    OK this is the hard part for beginners...Novaguy says go with the 750cfm mechanical secondary since he had a Jet boat, Which I have, and Spectra says he would go for the vacuum secondarys for most application.
    I'm from Maine where the weather is not always good,
    and the Checkmate is quite a heavy 20'

novaguy
    Hollis,
    I am no mechanic....that was just what was recommended to me for a jet drive boat and it worked awesome. I think the reason being is that on a jet drive, when you hit the trottle you get up and go, there are no gears.

Hotcrusader76
    Diddo on the 750 Sea Demon. Don't go any bigger otherwise you won't like the throttle response.
    ~Ty

novaguy
    Now that is too funny....aftre I typed this, I came back to tell Hollis to get a hold of Hotcrusader76 because he is the carb expert....you beat me to it bro....

Hollis
    Cool, Thank you Spectra,novaguy, and Hotcrusader76

spectras only
    Hollis , if a had a 460 in a car [ had a lincoln with a 430 , it was a snappy hotrod [5050lbs]lincoln wink ] I would be happy with a 600 CFM ,which is the proper size according to Holley, but a boat is a different beast.It's going uphill all the time .I had excellent throttle response with either a 780 or the 850 marine carbs on both jet spectras 19 & 20 .My 24 spectra [4400lbs]has the 800cfm holley and throttle response is excellent ,no porpoising on take off and it's without trimtabs. You should borrow carbs from fellow boaters to try out before buy.Once you bought your carb ,you can't return it for a refund.

Hollis
    Thanks Spectra,I understand.
    I'd get an 850 but cannot afford it.
    The 750 may have to do I guess.
    [ June 25, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Hollis ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast