Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 blades vs 5 blades for mild Daytona 30

Cattitude1
    I'm working some tweaks for the winter- raisng my X another inch, Imco 1" shorty for a total X about 1.75" above the sponson, with the standoffs that are already there.
    I've got 1.5 ratio now and the merc 30 4 blades are at the rev limiter so different props will be in order. Are the 5 blades that big a deal on the cats or will I be fine just bumping to a 32" Bravo (vs going with a 30" 5 blade cause the pitch is more accurate and slip is so much less)
    Thanks for any real world experience

DMOORE
    I've got an Advantage 28 with twins. Looking at upping the prop size and spoke with Advantage about it. They said after all the testing they have done the 4blade Bravos win hands down for the cats. I am now looking to go from my 30 back up to a higher pitch bravo: 34's ? Not sure yet. Just food for thought.
    Darrell.

TIMINATOR
    On my 25 Daytona, the 5 blade comes on plane quicker, has a lower rpm at the same cruise speed, gains a few mph on top, has a much wider range of trim, porpoises less, and broke the drive twice. I now run the Bravo 1 4 blade again, gas is cheaper than B-Max drives. P.S. the drive is on the rubrail as for height. TIMINATOR

DMOORE
    On my 25 Daytona, the 5 blade comes on plane quicker, has a lower rpm at the same cruise speed, gains a few mph on top, has a much wider range of trim, porpoises less, and broke the drive twice. I now run the Bravo 1 4 blade again, gas is cheaper than B-Max drives. P.S. the drive is on the rubrail as for height. TIMINATOR
    What was the 5 blade size compared to the bravo?

TIMINATOR
    I have tried several, allways get close to the same results. Slip goes down, breakage goes up. TIMINATOR

Cattitude1
    I have tried several, allways get close to the same results. Slip goes down, breakage goes up. TIMINATOR
    Makes sense, but I suspect you were feeding the 5 blade more form the other end. I've always had good luck keeping Xz's/Xr's alive even in my bigger power single Pantera 700/800 with a P5x.
    sounds like 5 blades are worth it with my 425's that will never see more than some CMI's

Cat & Mice
    When I went from 4-blade Bravo to 5-Blade Hydromotive it made a huge difference. Especially in the mid range, I bet I gained 8-10mph at same RPM in teh mid range.
    They guy that bought my boat (28 twin DaytonaLP) went to a 6 blade and he said that it was even better.
    MP

Cattitude1
    When I went from 4-blade Bravo to 5-Blade Hydromotive it made a huge difference. Especially in the mid range, I bet I gained 8-10mph at same RPM in teh mid range.
    They guy that bought my boat (28 twin DaytonaLP) went to a 6 blade and he said that it was even better.
    MP
    Mike, did the boat like P5's or P5x's? what did you run for X? standoff's?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
    Lets see pics of this dam thing!!
    Welcome to Hot Boat BTW. I am Havasu Hound on OSO :rollside:

Cat & Mice
    Mike, did the boat like P5's or P5x's? what did you run for X? standoff's?
    I used the p-5x. My X was pretty high but I don't remember what it was. I didn't have standoff boxes but did have 2" shorter lowers. Here is a pic of the transom you can see about where the X is.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...65DSC01588.JPG

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast