Thread: Anodizing??

Badburn
    Well is cold here, boating has ended, I sent the upholstery to be redone and the blower motor is well under way. The Carrera will be looking good in the spring!!
    I tore my whole boat apart to do kind of a restore job on it since its a 1989. I have all of the anodized blue aluminum parts in a pile, they are real faded from the sun. I was going to have them re-anodized, and have found a local metal finishing shop to do it, the only problem is, they don't do any metal prep. So I'm wondering if any of you guys know anything about this stuff?
    Can I re-anodize over the old faded anodizing? Or do I need to strip it off first? What would I use to remove the anodizing?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

obnoxious001
    You are going to want to strip and repolish the aluminum before going back to the anodizer. The polish shop can probably do it for you, or you can use oven cleaner, making sure to follow directions about gloves and such, the stuff is pretty caustic, will cause burns. I thought I had pretty tough hands when I was removing some of the lettering off my boat with the stuff, proved to be a mistake on my part, keep the stuff off your skin.

The best way it so have the plater strip the old anodize then take the parts to a polisher to repolish, then back to the anodizer.
    One word of caution when working with anodizers not familar with cosmetic (polished) anodize for boat parts. Only a couple seconds in the etch tank to clean contaminants otherwise your polish will be etched off. The etch is essentially how they strip the old ano off so that's a good example of what they'll look like if polished parts are left in the etch too long. Industrial anodizers sometime don't know what you're after as industrial parts are not polished and it's not a concern. It's best to work with an anodizer familiar with doing boat parts to avoid the above and get good color match and anodize quality.

franky
    The best way it so have the plater strip the old anodize then take the parts to a polisher to repolish, then back to the anodizer.
    One word of caution when working with anodizers not familar with cosmetic (polished) anodize for boat parts. Only a couple seconds in the etch tank to clean contaminants otherwise your polish will be etched off. The etch is essentially how they strip the old ano off so that's a good example of what they'll look like if polished parts are left in the etch too long. Industrial anodizers sometime don't know what you're after as industrial parts are not polished and it's not a concern. It's best to work with an anodizer familiar with doing boat parts to avoid the above and get good color match and anodize quality.
    yeah, what he said!!

Badburn
    Thanks for the input guys...I found a shop that can do it all, strip, polish, and anodize. They seem to know what they are doing, and the price was reasonable.
    Oh, and I just ordered the rest of the stuff I need from Rexmar.com.

MR.T
    Where is it? I need some stuff done too.

I stripped some anno with oven cleaner and didnt follow directions nor did I wear gloves, oh my god!!!

What does this have to do with a blower motor again?

Fawk that, easy off aint so easy on your hands.I transfered the blue anno from the part to my hands, it didnt come off for quite a while.lol
    Hows that hotrod of yours coming? You ready for Spring? We didnt see you much last season.

Badburn
    Where is it? I need some stuff done too.
    They are in downtown Sacramento at 18th and S st. ACM is the name and their # is 916-442-1063 Ask for Scott.