Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 496 ho with 525hp

***boater#1
    ive heard that they are comming out with a new 496 H.O. it is supposed to have 525h.p. does this sound right? the guy at mercury said he didnt know anything... nut in powerboating is said they were thinking about it? anybody heard of this?

LV-Advantage
    Whipple is coming out with three packages stage 3 has 525hp. I think it is cmi exhaust,recalibration,cams and a filter.

LV-Advantage
    Here is a pic of the 525hp [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/tn_525hp.JPG[/img]
    [ October 14, 2002, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: LV-Advantage ]

shockwaveharry
    I just saw Merc Racing's 525HP in the box last weekend. It looked just like a 500HP. It has closed cooling but I didn't get a close enough look to tell if it was based on the 496 or the old 502. I've seen pictures of the Merc 525 in Powerboat and it was a 496 painted red with long tube CMI's.

Havasu Hangin'
    From what I understand, it's a recalibrated 500EFI, based on the 496 block.
    The old 525SC is now a 575SC EFI...

shockwaveharry
    I'm standing here thinking about it and have come to the conclusion that the Merc 525 efi that I saw is based on the old motor because it uses the old intake with siamised runners. The 496 has symetrical ports. It uses a completely different manifold.

Havasu Hangin'
    shockwaveharry:
    I'm standing here thinking about it and have come to the conclusion that the Merc 525 efi that I saw is based on the old motor because it uses the old intake with siamised runners. The 496 has symetrical ports. It uses a completely different manifold.Could be. I gotta wonder where they are getting the parts, though. I heard they moved away from the old 502s...but I'm not an expert.

Steamin' Rice
    According to the specs on their website, the HP525EFI from merc racing is a 502ci motor. I believe that it's essentially an HP500EFI with closed cooling, different exhaust, different throttle body, and different computer.
    I don't think that merc racing has announced a motor based on the 496......yet

Craig
    I thought I read it also has Edelbrock heads on it.

Steamin' Rice
    You're probably correct...I can only read so many words and then my brain locks up....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast