Thread: 460, bent pushrods?????

curtis26
    Hey guys I just got this new 460 off craigslist. It was supposed to have 500hp the heads have been worked etc etc etc. My problem is I took the boat out only 2 times and had 2 pushrods break in the same cylinder? The piston never hit the valves, everything looks fine? The cam isnt damaged I cant find any problem? Could it be that they just threw stock pushrods in and they bent? Thats all I can think of, but its pretty odd is happened to the same cylinder both intake and exhaust? I dont know shit about fords nor do I like them but its what my boat was set up with so I went with it. Any ideas? I was just gonna get new gaskets and chromolly pushrods and try it again?? :rollside:

Moneypitt
    Is it possible those two guides were reamed on a Monday morning, or late on a Friday afternoon. Sounds like the guides, just those two, are getting tight when it warms up. Have you experienced any popping or farting out of the motor? Are the valves stuck in the open position, are the pivots/rockers gauled? Same valve springs? Maybe those springs are different and coil binding? Just a few ideas..............MP

502 JET
    Pushrods just dont bend for no reason.
    Do a leakdown test you may have bent valves.

DMOORE
    Pushrods just dont bend for no reason.
    Do a leakdown test you may have bent valves.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. All is ok until it gets hot and the rpm goes up.
    Darrell.

wsuwrhr
    Sounds like the guides, just those two, are getting tight when it warms up. Have you experienced any popping or farting out of the motor? Are the valves stuck in the open position, are the pivots/rockers gauled? Same valve springs? Maybe those springs are different and coil binding? Just a few ideas..............MP
    This would be my first guess
    Brian

curtis26
    I did the leakdown test right away and it was fine? It does have new valves, springs etc Im not sure but I can imagine some kind of guide work was done. And yes it was only that one cylinder. This was a motor I bought from a guy I have the reciepts I just dont know much more than whats on them as I had nothng really to do with the build. I hate buying motors like that so much can go wrong if they arent put together right :argue: