Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IHBA RULE CHANGE: Bilge Pumps Required

502 JET
    3M products 4200 Urethane is the way to go.If you use the 5200 it will be almost impossible to disassemble.
    4200 fast cure specs:
    4200 Fast Cure is a one-part general purpose Polyurethane selant with a good adhesion to wood, fiberglass, gelcoat, plastics and metals. Forms watertight, weather-resistant seals on joints and boat hardware above or below the waterline.
    3m 4200 fast cure is ideal for hardware and bedding applications. Paintable and sandable. This product is approx. half the strength of 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant 5200, which allows for disassembly of parts.

bp
    Gasoline attacks window and door type silicone, thats a fact!!! And if you spill fuel and it runs back to your TA plates well its not helping the situation, trust me on this one.
    i think you missed the key word i used there: RESISTANT, not impervious, or "gas proof"...
    the little plastic suction piece for the bilge pump is also gas RESISTANT (is that big enough, or do i need to make it bigger and a different color? )
    no way i'd poxyputty that little piece of plastic, or it'll have to be ground off. i'll just try to avoid pouring gas all over the place (until i'm ready to burn the thing ).

steelcomp
    Try and remove silicone...I don't care what kind...that's adhered to a clean surface, with gasoline, laquer thinner, acetone...I don't care what you use. Clean solvent is about the best thing to try and remove it, but even then, it only lifts the silicone, it dosen't attack or effect it. Silicone is basically impervious to any of the above. It's pretty much always the preperation that fails.

I have the small Mayfair pumps. I'll weigh one when I get in the shop.

UBFJ #454
    "If you pickup a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man... Mark Twain. --- Mark must have spent some time in the marine business."
    If you were born in Missouri, on the River as I was, you'd Know What 'Mark The Twain' Meant ... Anyone here Know what a 'Twain' Really Is?

steelcomp
    "If you pickup a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man... Mark Twain. --- Mark must have spent some time in the marine business."
    If you were born in Missouri, on the River as I was, you'd Know What 'Mark The Twain' Meant ... Anyone here Know what a 'Twain' Really Is?
    indication of the depth of the river...don't remember the actual measurement. I know it had to do with marking a line dropped overboard to measure safe water level...I think two fathoms? (about 12') and I believe it was "mark twine", not Twain.

sdpm
    A Hydro is flat between the stringers. It would take alot of water in there for the bilge pump to work. By that time I would think you were done! One more thing I don't need in there and more wiring! :cry:
    Where did you find this rule change? It is not on their site!

SmokinLowriderSS
    "Twain" is defined as "two", so it means 12 feet, or 2-fathoms depth.
    A full list of "calls" is here:
    http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/marktwain.htm

UBFJ #454
    I don't like the Amp Draw either ... But ... With an Automatic with No h2o ... Should be minimal draw ... But ... One more thing in the Circuit, is one more thing to be 'Concerned With' ... However, A Rule Is A Rule ... No matter how how Rules Come About ... That I'll talk about in Person, Not in an Open Forum ... All in all, I don't really have Objection as I consider it just ...............

UBFJ #454
    Hey Smokin' ... Kansas Guy (Jay Hawker) ... 'Red Legger' (Cass & Clay County) Here,
    Yepper, 'Twain' means Two (2) ... Two Fathoms ... The Minimum draft required at the time for a River Boat ... 12 feet bottom clearance (a Fathom being 6 feet ... 2 arm spans pulling up a knotted line on the bow of a paddle wheeler).
    Some things should not be forgotten ... Thanks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast