Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IHBA RULE CHANGE: Bilge Pumps Required

bp
    I bet someone will be selling bilge pumps at Firebird..
    no doubt. maybe rexmarine'll bring a trailer load...
    What gph rating do you need ?.
    i've been using a rule 1100 for a long time. i've got a 1500 on the shelf; only weighs about 5lbs
    Does it have to be automatic or can you run a switch ?.
    they didn't say. it better be auto for the capsule guys. i don't have an auto in mine, and don't want one because, 1) i can see the water, and 2) floats stick. he just said bilge pump.
    I like the Rule Pump cause its Red,White and Blue.
    that, and they pump water pretty good too.

I will weigh all the options, manuals and automatics and post later today. I know weight is a big concern on this.

Xerophobic
    any of you guys run "duck bills" on your boats? Would seem to be a good idea if you're worried about hauling residual water around in your hull and they weigh jack %$#@ . Especially good on a race boat that goes right back on the trailer after each run. We use 3 on our tunnels, one in each sponson and one in the centerpod
    Ill post a pic if you're not familair with them??
    Cheers

pce680
    The inside of my boat is always dry.My IHBA required bilge pump will only be sucking AIR.

bp
    The inside of my boat is always dry.My IHBA required bilge pump will only be sucking AIR.
    they do that real well too. i hope you knocked wood when you said that
    xero, the duckbills work well for moving stuff. we can sit still for 20 minutes on the rope (or 2 hours sometimes), and if they leak at all, we'll get water intrusion. safer and less worry to plug the holes. and have a bilge pump just in case.

Xerophobic
    Fair enough BP, gotcha on the sitting still part, we don't do that much, 'less something's broke :O
    Cheers

TexasJet
    I was at the IHBA races in Marble Falls in Texas last August. A kid on a jet ski, one of the kids that help take the boat to the starting line, happened to make a wake behind Greg Tedesco's Loose Cannon TFH. Long story short, the boat sunk!! Tedesco was so pissed he couldn't see straight. This happened as he was hanging on the rope wating his turn on Sunday. If he would have had a bilge pump it probably wouldn't have sunk.

77charger
    I bet someone will be selling bilge pumps at Firebird.
    What gph rating do you need ?
    Does it have to be automatic or can you run a switch ?
    I like the Rule Pump cause its Red,White and Blue.
    I think i got an idea for more beer money i've been known to drive good on sundays after a night of drinkin too.My boss made it a requirement for me too

Here's the weights:
    Mayfair 500 manual: .7 lb
    Mayfair 750 manual: .8 lb
    Mayfair 1000 manual: .8 lb
    Mayfair 2200 manual: 5 lbs
    Attwood Sahara 500 automatic: .72 lb
    Attwood Sahara 750 automatic: 1.00 lb
    Attwood Sahara 1100 automatic: 1.00 lb
    Here's the pumps... (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...ode=bilgepumps)
    Weights obviously do not include hose, clamps, switches, thru-hull fittings etc.

LakesOnly
    ...i would think the rule has more to do with the capsule boats that slowly fill up on their way to the rope, then sink with just a little backwash. ...it's the one's that have no clue until the sponsons are sticking straight up out of the water.
    Funny you should mention this because I have been wondering:
    Did any of you guys watch Plumb Crazy flip over at the start at the Nitro Nationals last spring? The video is on dragboats.com, and if you pause the video as soon as "dragboats.com" fades from your screen, it sure as hell looks to me as though the back of the boat is filled and about to sink, sponsons pointing to the sky. And so maybe Kutz couldn't blow the tail and the boat just flipped right over? (Is this what happened? Don't know if he/they figured it out.)
    CLICK HERE (http://www.dragboats.com/video/du/06_05_IHBA_692.wmv) to see what I'm talking about, and after you watch the video, play it again and pause the video as soon as "dragboats.dom fades from the screen.
    LO

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast