Thread: Oil/Dipstick Leak?

JDB
    Hey Guys
    Brand new 572 BBC crate motor with 1 hour on it....runs great but saw a little oil (maybe 1/2 quart) in the bilge and along the side near the battery boxes....noticed that the dipstick came out about an inch from the tube.....would the motor and oil pressure be enough to blow it out the dipstick if it were out that inch?
    Thanks

curtis26
    Yes, Ive had the same problems in the past. Both my 454 and 460 did that I ran a pvc valve and hose from the valvecover to the back of carb and it cured the problem for me?? :skull: :skull:

JDB
    Thanks Curtis
    I have a carb 572 Merlin motor and it has the dominator carb on it....there is NOT a PVC or any kind of vacume port on the set-up.....it does have a set of huge breathers on the valve covers. I guess I was asking if the dipstick alone being out an inch would cause the oil leak.
    Thanks again

deltaAce
    Im not sure if your engine has the kind of dip stick tube that goes to the bottom of the pan to suck oil out of, but if it is, it is possible for higher crankcase pressure to pump oil up out of the tube. Perhaps on your new engine that the rings are not sealing perfectly well yet, cumbustion pressure is leaking past the rings & pressurizing the crankcase slightly (mostly at higher RPMs). Some engines have a spring that attaches to the dipstick to kept it down in the tube.

Slacker
    Another suggestion might be that the dipstick may be vibrating loose.Happend on a previous boat motor... a quick fix would be to put a rubber nipple over the dipstick hole so it doesnt blow out. Not a perfect solution but it will stop oil from getting in the bildge..

502 JET
    I had this same problem.
    I had breathers that had foam in them and they would not breathe after getting some oil and condensation in them.I pulled the foam out of them.I also installed a 3" piece of 3/8 hose pushed up on the dipstick and it holds onto the tube.