Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "R" Intake question

poncho-pwr
    I have heard about Berkeley "R" intakes for quite some time, and it seems like the only boats that have them are Placecraft tunnels as far as I know. What exactly is an "R" intake, how does it differ from the others, and does anybody know where I might could find a picture of one? Apparently they are not made anymore because Berkeley doesn't list them.

MikeF
    They are tough to find, but if you have the tools, you can change the one you have.
    This is one is an early R type intake that Jack had made out of a BayJet intake.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...3bottom014.jpg
    It sets the pump very low in the boat. This one is set so the pump/engine sit at a 6 degree angle.

Nucking futs
    I just pulled the R intake out of my southwind dragster to do the floor. I wil snap some shots of it tomorrow. Thats what all the big powered southwinds ran back in the day and the only way they would run a #. Now with all the after market intakes loaders ect. they are really not needed or desired because the loaders and ride plate set ups differ from the normal 4* intake. pics willto follow wil show what im talkin bout.
    I think they work best on a delta bottom, but im not certian on that....

poncho-pwr
    Thanks, pics would be great.

bp
    the sw that blew over at ming had an r intake...

now i always thought a sw could not blow over. was it a swtd or something else?

Nucking futs
    Thats not the loader im going to run, that is a billet piece that has some blocker in it that was cut and hacked. The loaders have 6 mounting holes and a finned entry. They sit real low and are at 5* rather than the normal 4*. This was the first production "race" intake that berkley made. There are several low profile intakes out now that accept the normal 4* intake,so tuning would be alot easier to borrow parts to tune.
    It worked good in the southwind tunnels So thats whats going back in. I know a guy who has set up a few with very good results,and I luckly have alot of the R hardware from some of the old school SW dragsters.

Nucking futs
    the sw that blew over at ming had an r intake...
    And ???????
    You stirring the pot Bob?

Nucking futs
    now i always thought a sw could not blow over. was it a swtd or something else?
    It was a modified SW. bottom. It had more of a rounded tunnel like a daytona.One off kinda deal.
    Quote from BP, boat drove over, carried nose to high and never backed out.I havent seen pics nor was I there so I cannot comment on Charlies boat. That thing was real light. Its kinda hard to blow a 600# boat over compared to a 350# Would you agree BP?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast