Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marble counter tops

bchbum
    Went to Home Depot today, to look at granite tiles . Wife saw marble tiles ,that she liked alot more . Will marble 12x12 tiles work for kitchen counters ?

locogringo
    Yes but they don't show well under wear and tear depending on the circumstances.

Jesster
    Marble is generally not recommended for kitchens.
    PROS
    Depth of color
    Smooth non-stick finish
    CONS
    Soft
    Needs regular application of sealant
    Can be etched by acids such as vinegar
    Subject to oil stains, rust stains,
    Can lose shine with hard wear (usually only a problem in marble
    floors)
    Efflorescence - appears as a white powdery residue on the surface of
    the stone – reaction to water.
    We did granite tile a year or so ago and couldn't be happier with the decision.

msc5195
    Went with the 12 x 12 granite tiles from Home Depot and we love them. Easy to install and very durable.
    http://images7.fotki.com/v158/photos...ture094-vi.jpg

YeLLowBoaT
    you can get a prefab top from china for cheaper then you can buy the tiles...
    Actaully cheaper then you can have the bull nose put on for...

a catered life
    do tell..where from and do you have a contact?

Jesster
    do tell..where from and do you have a contact?
    If I remember past posts yellowboat is a contractor so has the hookup. I dont know how much he is talking but I did my kitchen with 12x12 tiles (Baltic Borwn) about 55 sq/ft and the Prefab Roman Ogee (not orgy :crossx: ) bullnose and corners with tumbled travertine backsplash for about 1500.00. I did it myself so saved a lot on labor.

a catered life
    If I remember past posts yellowboat is a contractor so has the hookup. I dont know how much he is talking but I did my kitchen with 12x12 tiles (Baltic Borwn) about 55 sq/ft and the Prefab Roman Ogee (not orgy :crossx: ) bullnose and corners with tumbled travertine backsplash for about 1500.00. I did it myself so saved a lot on labor.
    that is a dam good price

YeLLowBoaT
    Actaully I do have a Granite guy.( old friend) for a 8ft blank its 150-250 Then you add in the sink holes and stuff.

ROZ
    You can buy 12x12 field granite tiles and either get seperate 2x12 corners(ogee or the other) or you can get edge tiles that have an ogee corner built onto them... Done both.... If it's a small area, you may find that going slab may only be a few hundred more.... You can save a few bucks by doing your own demo and mount your 3/4" ply starter... That way the granite guy only has to do the slab...
    If you don't buy a prefab corner, you can grind and polish the top edge fairly easily....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast