Thread: Rudder X-ray

Ian
    Here's a pic of our rudder we had X-rayed for cracks, they circled a couple small cracks that they felt were insignificant. They're going to x-ray it again after we run it a couple times to make sure they don't propagate.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/110Rudder-0.jpg[/img]
    [ March 14, 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Ian ]

CircleJerk
    Looks like a two piece rudder by the length of the cracks. Where do you go to get this done, your local Dentist? O suppose this can be done through chrome? Interesting..... smile_sp

CJ those long white lines are the edges of the blade if I'm seeing it correctly, not cracks.
    I'd be checkin it up around the weld area and shaft just above the blade. That's where I've seen em all break. They break right off at the bottom of the rudder box or just up inside a bit. We've broken lots of them in ski racing over the years. (We meaning ski racing participants, not me personally). Many more before the new rudder rule was enacted several years ago requiring annual inspection. It appears the cracks circled are on the edges which I'd say aren't in the problem area.
    [ March 16, 2003, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Ian
    This is only 1 of 4 shots, the whole rudder was checked

superV
    You can have this done at any Industrial Laboratorie. Just look in the phone book under labs or testing or just send it to me!

CircleJerk
    The silouette looked like a trailing edge circle rudder that was welded onto a racing wedge style. I think I need to do this myself. Jerk