Thread: Gen V/VI heads on a Gen IV block?

disco_charger
    What's it take to pull that off? What head gaskets can you run? I'm not liking the 30 year old stuff I'm looking at.

Infomaniac
    I dont think you can do that man. The water passages on the heads are a lot bigger and will overhang the edge of the block over the lifter valley.

blowngas
    fel pro makes several different gaskets for big blocks----I can't remember what the numbers are, but if you can get access to some used ones of the different numbers, lay one out on the head and block, and you will see which one will work----I've run gen 5 heads on a gen 4 block on injected alcohol with the block filled with water, and not pressurized

freakdave
    check out flatlanderracing.com for fel-pro gaskets and it shows a chart of cylinder head gaskets that are compatible with mark 4, gen V and VI for the BBC.

disco_charger
    OK, the Flatlander site told me about the gaskets. Anyone running the new head on an old block in a ski boat type application?

BOBALOO
    The info I received was that on some blocks/heads the core shift is minimal and with a certain gasket it might work. I would not try it myself, especially in a jet without a pressure regulator. The heads will probably leak water into the lifter valley.

disco_charger
    I do run a regulator, but I think that just the threat of water into the lifter valley is enough to make me go another direction. Thanks!