Thread: OD Gear Lube

OCMerrill
    What is todays latest hot Gear Oil to use?
    Need to service my drive now and just checking opinions....
    I have an Alpha drive but with about 350 hp in front of it.

Run_em_Hard
    Mercury makes a high performance gear lube...can be found at any marine store.

Ryan00TJ
    I used to use the Quicksilver HI Performance Synthetic in my Gen 1 Alpha but have been using Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic since it's readily available. I was recommended the Mobil 1 by the Bravo Shop. My Alpha has been living strong on this recipe since 1992 with a variety of potent small blocks.

Beer-30
    The Mobil-1 is supposed to be some really good stuff. I know the REDLINE products are used worldwide for outdrives and Teague likes it.
    I use this stuff:
    http://www.torcousa.com/images/produ..._fluid_pop.jpg
    I have personally seen this stuff live in an overdrive unit (Doug Nash) that we were killing all other lubes in. This stuff still looked new after going over the Grapevine with two cars on the back.
    From the label:
    RTF Racing Transmission Fluid is specifically engineered to reduce fluid drag for increased power efficiency without compromising component durability. It is made from a combination of specially selected 100% synthetic Group IV/V base oils proving superior shear resistance and extreme temperature stability. RTF is specially formulated to exceed the load-carrying and extreme pressure wear protection properties of higher viscosity GL-5 or GL-6 gear oils. RTF provides anti-score protection for high speed, high load and high torque shock-loading conditions, while allowing smooth operation of synchronizers.
    Recommended for manual transmissions, transaxles and marine outdrive units where an SAE 75W90, 80W90 or 90 is specified. Also replaces SAE motor oil 10W30, 30, 10W40 or 40 where specified for transmissions. Commonly used in circle track (Winston Cup, Busch, modified, stock), road racing, formula, open wheel (Champ Cars, IRL Cars), off road, drag racing, sports compact street and domestic performance street applications. Highly recommended for achieving maximum power efficiency. Excellent for dry sump and fluid drive gear cases. Note: RTF is specifically recommended for Richmond Gear Racing Transmissions.

BadKachina
    Torco is good stuff, so good Merc recommends it in the #6 drive. Standard Merc products should be good enough for an Alpha. You're not running any excessive amount of hp or anything that drive can't handle. Not that the Alpha is particularly strong anyways, my biggest concern with that drive is to make sure it's sealed properly and doesn't take in any water. If your drive shaft belows ever leaks your drive will take in water and die a quick death. The seal will hold drive oil in but not keep water out.

OCMerrill
    Thanks for the replies.
    Last year I just used Quicksilver from West Marine. Now that I have a cam and Alum Heads uping the ante about 100 hp I have shifted some concern to the drive. Looking for a little extra security but...if it goes it goes. Seems solid for now. Shifts real well and is quiet. I dont pound it out of the hole either. With these mods I went from 60 mph up to the low 70's. It was a big difference and in my smaller boat it will now ping the wife meter.
    I have also read about the seal letting water in if the bellows leak. I will pay close attention to this when I service the drive.
    I will give Torco a shot. I have run enough of their two stroke products over the years...thats for sure.
    Thanks.

Beer-30
    Ya know, it's a little pricey at $13/liter (a B-1 uses about 2.5 of those), but I figure that is cheap compared to a drive. I changed it at 25 hours the first time, and then 40 hours this last time. Still looked absolutely perfect. Just a super-thin coat on the magnets. Shifts slightly smoother.

Ryan00TJ
    OCMerrill, Your Alpha should live a long and happy life. Just don't pound on it out of the hole. If you get the boat out of the water don't go back in under WOT as it will kill an Alpha. Also deaccelerate slowly after WOT runs.
    I blew up my original MR drive with Nitrous but the replacement Gen 1 Alpha has been going strong since 92 following the above guidelines. It's not rpm that will kill the Alpha but torque and shockloading the gears. Hell I used to spin my 440+HP AFR headed 355ci solid lifter to 6500rpms and 76+mph and the Alpha kept coming back for more.
    Like all have mentioned just keep watch on the DS bellow. If I am correct there is a drain hole near the transom that water will flow out of if the boot becomes torn.

OCMerrill
    Thanks again.
    I am going to have GS Marine look over things but not untill October is gone. My favorite boating month. Opps I mean the river is closed :rollside: