Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quitting the dunes

Magic34
    After some thought, and looking at my schedule, the wife and I have decided to sell off the dunes stuff. This isn't a spam thread, just seeing if anyone else has the same thoughts or if I am nuts.
    The most I would be able to go this year is 4-5 times max, and then the trailer sits until the next season. It's a ton of work keeping up with all the crap (trailer, bikes, etc.) too, but that isn't the issue.
    I am going to keep the Rhino and continue with the build stuff on it (long travel, motor, paint, etc).
    Just seems as time goes on, I dont have the energy to put 100% into the dunes in the winter and 100% in the boat during the other 8 months. This decision seems clear as we only go to the dunes from Early December throught eh end of February and then the boat is out again. We use the boat until mid November.
    I need a couple of months off each year from the travel schedule, and I'm not giving up the boat, and I have to stay busy traveling for business, so to free up some weekends, it seems the dunes have to go. I'll still make a trip or 2 with the Rhino and some other friends each season, just not all balls out with a 40' trailer and all the other toys like I do now.
    I know I'm rambling, but is this a mistake? Right now, doesn't feel like one. Anyone else do this only to buy new stuff all over again the following year because they missed it too much?

ROZ
    I gave up on the desert 13 years ago....

MudPumper
    This way you won't have to worry about the invasion of the Raider Nation that is happening in the dunes either.

Tom Brown
    The thing about selling stuff you're not using is that you can replace it if you find your lifestyle changes such that you want it again. I'd rather do that than have a bunch of stuff sitting around, falling into disrepair, and losing value.

OCMerrill
    We gave up Glamis about 4 years ago. Just at the time of the central closure. Our group was spinning towards long travel buggies ($$$) and my wife, prego with our son, decided to give it up in fear of getting hurt and not being able to be a mom as she saw fit.
    I left an Engineering Job and started a Property Maint. business about the same time and also feared "not being able" to work. I have been hurt in the dunes many times and fear was starting to set in a bit. The absolute worst rider is the one who rides with fear.
    And...the place just sucks crazy busy and it was getting hard to fight it all the time. We ended up making summer trips and riding all night to avoid the peeps. During the day we slept. Good times...nothing like summer sand and a full moon....Sorry not helping.
    So quads were sold not a big investment as we kept and still use our motor home about a whopping 5x a year. Busy schedules. I still miss my banshee. 68 RWHP Trinity built with tons of goodies. :cry:
    Now 4 years later we have a Jeep Rubicon and I bought the kids small quads. We are going to work the desert for a while and maybe Glamis once a year if we can find some family oriented group to go with.
    Who knows?
    You can always return on scene scaled back at a later date. Now is the time to sell that stuff if you going to.

djunkie
    This way you won't have to worry about the invasion of the Raider Nation that is happening in the dunes either.

http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...id=18084&stc=1

djunkie
    I am going to keep the Rhino and continue with the build stuff on it (long travel, motor, paint, etc).
    Damm!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't blame you one bit for wanting to take a break. I don't know how a lot of you can do all that year round. I may take a trip or 2 but to have the whole get up (rails, toy haulers, etc) and all the river stuff too, is a lot of work to me. And too much money for me too. :cry:

framer1
    Sounds like my boating life. Going to Havasu this weekend , it will only be my fourth time out.... Hardly worth it $4900 for ins. you do the math :cry:

cc322
    Damm!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't blame you one bit for wanting to take a break. I don't know how a lot of you can do all that year round. I may take a trip or 2 but to have the whole get up (rails, toy haulers, etc) and all the river stuff too, is a lot of work to me. And too much money for me too. :cry:
    Ditto on what he said. We picked one and it was the river, boating that we love the best, and it takes all i got. Maybe throw in a Mammoth ski trip once a year. Good luck on the sale..

havasu5150
    We have also had that thought. We have only gone 2-3 times in the last couple of years due to scheduling issues. If we dont use the rail and Banshees more this year we are talking about selling. I also don't like the direction that Glamis is going. The closures are still not lifted, RAMP is not in effect. Clean Genes is closed. etc.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast