Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSD Coil ?

Taylorman
    I have a complete MSD ignition system on my jet boat with a blaster SS coil. It went out for the 3rd time since ive owned my boat. In the 6 years ive owned the boat its gone out 2 times and i replaced it with the same coil and now its out again. What coil is everyone running. Im thinking about changing to the Blaster 2 coil. Any thoughts?

IMPATIENT 1
    taylorman, i've been runnin the same blaster 2 for 6yrs.i've had great luck with it.never ran a resistor or anything.msd box(6a,6al,etc.)have a problem with the heavy ground cable that goes into the box comin loose at the board.might zip off the rivets holdin the back cover on and look and see if the solder is cracked on that ground circuit.i've fixed alot of boxes just by repairing that one little thing.causes alot of coil problems if the module doesn't get a good ground.might check it out.

Mr. Crusader 83
    blaster 2, 6a box, billet dist.
    works great

maxwedge
    I burned up an the stocker and an Accel coil last year. Probably should have replaced the points and condensor and maybe checked the ballast resistor, but I'm now going with HEI I think.

Cole1313
    I run the blaster as well. Its been three years and not even a hicup.

robk
    Since everyone is talking about MSD (and not to thread-jack, sorry) what plug wires are everyone running?
    Is anyone *not* running the shielded MSD $$$ wires?
    Taylorman - what wires are you running? If you're not running the MSD wires, could that be causing a problem? I know that unshielded wires are supposed to generate a whole bunch of RFI, but to what extent that affects the MSD box I don't know.

flat broke
    Taylorman,
    I have an HVCII PN 8253 paired up against my digital 6 box and its been working fine for a while. Since it's not that different in construction from your Blaster SS, I would definitely check for grounding issues. A quick check through all of your ignition wiring might not be a bad idea either.
    Asside from that, these coils are pretty solid in terms of vibration resistance. Assuming you've mounted it on its rubber isolators, its not somewhere where it's always getting wet, and its not mounted to something that is vibrating more than the rest of the boat, and it's not too close to a header; I'd say you should be alright. If you've got the marine box on your rig you won't be able to just pop the rivets and inspect that ground situation because its incased in epoxy. But just a reminder, MSD recommends that you hook the ground for the box up directly to the battery ground terminal. I would think the box would show symptoms first, but since it feeds the coil, there is always the possibilty for an issue if you're not following that recommendation.
    Hope that helps,
    Chris

IMPATIENT 1
    Since everyone is talking about MSD (and not to thread-jack, sorry) what plug wires are everyone running?
    Is anyone *not* running the shielded MSD $$$ wires?
    Taylorman - what wires are you running? If you're not running the MSD wires, could that be causing a problem? I know that unshielded wires are supposed to generate a whole bunch of RFI, but to what extent that affects the MSD box I don't know.
    I DON'T RUN THE MSD WIRES,THEY DON'T MAKE EM IN BLUE,I THINK I'M RUNNIN THE 8.5MM ACCEL WIRES.NEVER HAD ANY PROBS WITH EM.

maxwedge
    I'm running 8.5 mm Accel too. Only burned up twp coils in 15hrs. LOL. Really I think the wires are fine, it has more to do with the coil being mounted directly to the top of the engine where it gets splashed and vibrated combined with the frayed and corroded wiring, and the worn out distributer components, all of which will be different next year, so I'll let you know then.

IMPATIENT 1
    I'm running 8.5 mm Accel too. Only burned up twp coils in 15hrs. LOL. Really I think the wires are fine, it has more to do with the coil being mounted directly to the top of the engine where it gets splashed and vibrated combined with the frayed and corroded wiring, and the worn out distributer components, all of which will be different next year, so I'll let you know then.
    I WAS THINKING THIS OVER AT LUNCH,DO YOU RUN THE RESISTOR THEY GIVE YOU IN THE BASIC MSD BLASTER COIL KIT?IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN,THEN THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM.I RAN A BLASTER WITHOUT THE RESISTOR BALLAST AND IT DIDN'T LAST A COUPLE OF TRIPS OUT. HAD THAT ONE WARRANTIED AND PUT THE RESISTOR ON AND IT WAS FINE. THE SWITCH TO THE BLASTER 2 IS BETTER, GO WITH IT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast