Thread: Cam ?

garret
    What do you guys recommend for a cam for a mild blower motor?? I have a 40 over 454, 8.5:1, the lower end will be balanced and i am going to run approximatley 10-12lbs of boost and i have a set of Merlin heads (Grumpy series). It is going in a jet boat> Any input will be helpful. This motor stuff is new to me.

TIMINATOR
    The blower will make it idle better than you think,especially if you boost reference the power valves). So I usually go with the Compcams street blower roller, its 255/260 at .050. easy on parts, great power. The original motor in my pro street Nova was a stock rebuilt flat top forged piston 454 (built for a P/U truck), 2 bolt mains,because the customer never picked up the shortblock so I stuffed the rest of it together, 990 heads, 8/71 street BDS, 2 750s and that cam. 3.90 gears, 2500 stall. 9.80s all day long and drove it everywhere for 2 1/2 years, passed smog too! After teardown to upgrade it to a larger cam and porting of the heads, I saw that the main caps were moving around (put studs in there when I added the blower). Built a 4 bolt block with studs to replace it. Stuck it in my 21 Daytona and ran 95 at the same 9 lbs. boost. Very reliable!!! TIMINATOR