Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSD Coil ?

Taylorman
    I have a complete MSD ignition system on my jet boat with a blaster SS coil. It went out for the 3rd time since ive owned my boat. In the 6 years ive owned the boat its gone out 2 times and i replaced it with the same coil and now its out again. What coil is everyone running. Im thinking about changing to the Blaster 2 coil. Any thoughts?

Jerrys59
    I have a complete MSD ignition system on my jet boat with a blaster SS coil. It went out for the 3rd time since ive owned my boat. In the 6 years ive owned the boat its gone out 2 times and i replaced it with the same coil and now its out again. What coil is everyone running. Im thinking about changing to the Blaster 2 coil. Any thoughts?
    I had one of them go out also was on a street rig. just stoped like I turned the key off

I ran a blaster high vibration coil for 5 years on my old Hondo.
    Never had a problem. As far as I know it has worked for the last 4 years for the new owner of the boat.

EXTREMEBOATS
    I have all ways used the "high vibration" and havent had one fail in the past 15 years. Some dont like the MSD stuff but I have only had one part fail and it was on my own boat. Three years old ' MSD 6AL' and I sent it back. Two weeks later it came back. not only fixed but free including shiping. Thats why I still use there goods. :argue:
    Mike

GofastRacer
    I had one of them go out also was on a street rig. just stoped like I turned the key off
    At least it wasn't just before the end of a race and you're winning!..

Rocket-J
    As was already said, MSD stands behind their stuff. If it fails, send it back to them. Ask them some questions and listen to them.
    Check your mount and maybe move it to a better location with less vibration. Use a sturdy mount. Check all your wires and ground. Poor grounding causes more electrical failure than people reallize. Espesially in a boat that has no frame. Get the high vibration coil. MSD can solve your problem. Al

RICHARD TILL
    which msd box do you have? some boxes are not compatable with all their coils. i`ve got an msd book. post what box and coil part number and i`ll look it up for you. that might be the problem.

Stingray69
    MSD Blaster 2 (red) coils are oil filled and must be mounted vertically.
    MSD HI VIBE (black) coils are epoxy filled and can be mounted horizontally.

Not sure why Taylorman started 2 identical threads but here's another in just jets that has quite a few responses.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103138

cyclone
    ive seen a few of the red ones go bad. Definately use a black one like the others have suggested or even one of the HVC coiles. Mines be mounted on the back of the cylinder head for a three years with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast