Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nostalgic race boats...

MAXIMUS
    I do not think plan b is a 59 maybe a 69 ? Also I think Down and Out is a Howard H29

haulina29
    A 1959 20 foot GN rayson craft

Sangster
    Funny you'd bring this boat up. Dave Sammons and I were talking about this very boat on Sunday. Jerry is doing the Honcho K-32 back to it's day. I'm doing one for Don Christy Jr (Mr.Big Stuff PC-64) back to it's record setting originality. So it's on.... There's lots of Sanger's and Hondo's out there that can be re-done. We have to start somewhere and what a cool way to get together. There's so much talent on these boards along with information I can't see it going anyway but up. Gordy should buy a Sanger circle boat and do it like the Liberty K-69 his dad drove. That would be way bitchen. They may not bring the money of a street rod but it's not about the money. There's nothing like a cool retro flat or hydro. Hands down winner over a car any day!!!!
    Climax vs Down & Out Courtesy Jim Phillipson
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...S-DOWN-OUT.jpg

Thats the down & out boat Dago has in the rafters.
    I will give him a call.
    That would be a kick ass deal to see running again.

Sangster
    Morg...can't find the pics of Tim's boat right now but will post some as soon as I get my camera back....

finaleffort
    We Still Have The 1983 Deaver That Was The Last Blood Sweat And Nitro Boat That Gene Deaver And Rick Hendrick Ran, We Bought It In The End Of 83 And Ran Fuel From 84. To 93.

BILLY.B
    Brad Tuttle came by the shop the other day and your dad's name came up due to this thread. Brad would love to have his old boat back to restore it (Nitro Bandit). We were talking about the time he filled in on a test session for Bob Burns at Phoenix driving your dads boat (Final Effort). Tom Arens (owner of the Nitro Express) & I were standing right next to the car your dad was standing on (hood) watching Brad. Brad shut it down due to a engine problem and your dad was PISSED!!!!. He caved in the hood of that rental car (Lincoln) by stomping his boots he was so pissed. Looking back now it was pretty funny. But then we thought Brad was dead meat when he got back to the pits.

eraser
    [QUOTE=dossangers]Theres one flat that needs to be BROUGHT BACK Red metalflake on NITRO [SIZE=7]''CRAZY HORSE'' DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and with a "392" I was reading this thread last night and thought how cool it was and how I could not agree more with what everyone has said. I'm just surprised :idea: no one brought it up sooner! especially after seeing Waynes immaculate recreation of "COLDFIRE". I cant think of anything cooler than seeing restorations or re-creations of all the race boats, drag and circle, that I knew and loved as a youngster!

coolchange
    Friend of mine had a Panic MOuse. Was the first flat I ever drove. It went to McLure- Don Pedro area about 1975. Guy moved to Florida. wish I could track it down.

Dave Sammons
    As Billy and I were talking about this subject, we were discussing the fact that there HAD to be some of these old raceboats still around. In just a couple days on the forum it's come out that, one of Cole's old TFF's is still around, Blood, Sweat and Nitro is coming up for sale and Down N Out is up in the original owners rafters! I think this is AMAZING. The car guys have a huge leg up on us as far as preserving history. When we were running the GoodGuys deal and attended the first NHRA Reunion, to see the old restored Top Fuelers just blew us away! Great pains were taken to either restore the original or build the re-pop to reflect the EXACT way the car was built in it's day. While the originals are of course the ideal, the re-creations are just as highly thought of. When I began restoring the 1963 top fueler "Chubasco" I was told by Greg Sharp of the NHRA Museum that attention to detail is the key. Painting the car the same color, finding the correct hat and putting "weedburner" headers on it was not going to cut it! We made sure to document everything we could right down to the brass fittings, thumb screw hose clamps and the places where the electrical tape held the hoses to the chassis. Here's a couple links to the site where the restoration was detailed.
    http://www.nitrogeezers.com/Chubasco_resto.htm
    http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/communit...=9990104369702
    When we debuted the car at Cacklefest 3 years ago the response was unbelievable. I heard so many stories about the car and it's history just from fans who were there back in the day, it blew me away! Point being...Boat racing fans have the same type of memories and when a boat can be found and restored or re-created to the EXACT detail of it's period, the same emotions will begin to flow and I gotta tell ya it's pretty dam cool! Wait till you see "Proud Mary" for the first time! Can you imagine that boat and Down n Out or Out A Sight side by side on the Racecourse...talk about Goosebumps!
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...Harris-TFH.jpg http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...iccia-Ming.jpg

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast