Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What size jets are you running?

GofastRacer
    DUCKY:
    Just curious of what size jets some of you are running. I have a Holley HP950 (80496-1) on a 8:1 468 chev with a little cam and headers. It came with 78's all the way around. I am up to 84's in the primaries and 90's in the secondaries and my friggin plugs are still white, and I have what sounds like a lean miss at WOT (which is only 4600rpm). I have a 6-valve mechanical pump at 6psi at WOT so delivery isn't an issue.
    Oh yeah, I run at 500 ft alt. Sounds to me that you're running out of gas!, I just had a similar situation!!.If you're carb is the right size for the motor, you shouldn't need to go more than one or two sizes from factory jetting!..Are you running adequate size fuel lines?, you using a regulator or bypass?..I'm running a Victor454R and a 1050 on a 468. I have #12 line from the tank to one of George Streagle's high pressure mechanical pumps, #8 from the pump to the carb and a 8lbs bypass after the carb. Couldn't figure out at first why I couldn't pull more than 6000 even after dropping down in gears, raised the floats, up the jets, still 6000, plugs lean, WTF!, come to find out, the bypass was stuck open, popped a bowl, it was almost dry, wonder I didn't cook something!!.....Just my experience, something to look for!!...

DUCKY
    Dans66Stevens:
    I may be wrong but its worth checking. On my motor I had some similiar problems. A good friend of mine kept saying are the intake bolts tight. Id say YES...Well after calling him a few times he says I will be OVER in ten minutes.
    Well he shows up. Takes a 9/16 wrench and every bolt was loose.... eek!
    We did do a few other things that day. The motor has run better ever since. I wish it was that easy, but I already checked that, and checked for vacuum leaks with propane.

DUCKY
    GofastRacer:
    DUCKY:
    Just curious of what size jets some of you are running. I have a Holley HP950 (80496-1) on a 8:1 468 chev with a little cam and headers. It came with 78's all the way around. I am up to 84's in the primaries and 90's in the secondaries and my friggin plugs are still white, and I have what sounds like a lean miss at WOT (which is only 4600rpm). I have a 6-valve mechanical pump at 6psi at WOT so delivery isn't an issue.
    Oh yeah, I run at 500 ft alt. Sounds to me that you're running out of gas!, I just had a similar situation!!.If you're carb is the right size for the motor, you shouldn't need to go more than one or two sizes from factory jetting!..Are you running adequate size fuel lines?, you using a regulator or bypass?..I'm running a Victor454R and a 1050 on a 468. I have #12 line from the tank to one of George Streagle's high pressure mechanical pumps, #8 from the pump to the carb and a 8lbs bypass after the carb. Couldn't figure out at first why I couldn't pull more than 6000 even after dropping down in gears, raised the floats, up the jets, still 6000, plugs lean, WTF!, come to find out, the bypass was stuck open, popped a bowl, it was almost dry, wonder I didn't cook something!!.....Just my experience, something to look for!!...
    I am running 3/8" lines from the tanks to the selector valve, to the pump, through the water separator, and up the the carb. I am using a 6valve mechanical pump, probably similar to what you have, I think it's a Holley, with a Holley regulator set at 7psi. I have a hand-held fuel pressure gauge ran up to the driver seat, and fuel pressure is fine, and both bowls are full when I go to change jets.

GofastRacer
    Well heck, just throw a set of injectors on there and end your problems!! wink

DUCKY
    GofastRacer:
    Well heck, just throw a set of injectors on there and end your problems!! wink Got an extra set? eek! I didn't think so....

GofastRacer
    DUCKY:
    GofastRacer:
    Well heck, just throw a set of injectors on there and end your problems!! wink Got an extra set? eek! I didn't think so.... Sorry, I need a set first!!...

Hotcrusader76
    I thought you were getting me some injectors? :-)

78Eliminator
    Infomaniac:
    You can do this only a few times before it will dribble over all the time. INFO: Not a good suggestion. Want to know what happened to me last time my float levels were set to high? KABOOM!!!!!!!!!

Hotcrusader76
    So do you have any flame paint job ideas in the future J? LOL

GofastRacer
    Hotcrusader76:
    I thought you were getting me some injectors? :-) OK, here ya go!....
    Injectors

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast