Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Evinrude V8

STV_Keith
    its a year later so I'm sure the price has gone up a few grand!
    Haha!

STV_Keith
    You probably knew this but in case you didn't... Wayne Taylor make an adapter to allow you to run Sportmasters on OMC engines.
    BTW Tom, I've already bought a RH 4-hole CLE to start this undertaking. Next time this thing breaks a LU, it's going to Merc parts.

TomAprilsswitzers
    I too am joining this forum a little late. There is a guy in Oak Lawn Illinois who does OMC high Performance work. His name is Joe Ball and the shop he owns is called Dragonmaster Outboards.
    If you goto www.freewebs.com/switzercraftreunionregattas/ you can see some of his work. I have 2 V-8's one which is a proto-type closed deck.
    I was told by some of the so called experts that this motor didn't exist, one guy even told me that I was mistaken and must have a V 6, Well I know how to count to 8 and never did hear from this guy again after I sent him the pictures of the powerhead.
    :devil: Anyway Joe has reworked this engine for me and our best guess is 400-420 hp on premium gas (I also add a little octaine boost too).
    :idea: So contact Joe for work on your V 8, I have been very very satisfied with my engine and use it alot.
    Thanks, Tom Arambasich

TomAprilsswitzers
    :220v: If these pictures downloaded you will se a picture of my 3.6 1985 V8 and the Prototype Closed Deck V 8 I picked up at the Bankruptcy Auction that OMC had just before BRP took over.
    :devil:
    The powerhead on the left is the Prototype
    The prototype was purchased at the Waukeegan Illinois plant in 2002.

STV_Keith
    Cool stuff Tom...never seen a closed deck V8 - you have a very rare piece there.
    FYI, I sent my two 4.0l V8's to Monty Racing in FL last year and ended up with a pair of good running V8's. They dynoed 382/340ft-lbs on the dyno. Pump gas motors with great driveability. This is with mid bore carbs. Big bores may have yielded more top end, but fuel mileage suffers - and on a big boat like my Scarab, I need the mileage at cruise.
    http://www.speedcraving.com/scarab/M...-graph-800.jpg

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789