Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much tongue weght have you hauled?

nodigg
    Beefing up my bumper pull hitch today and was wondering how heavy you guys have gone and live to tell.

ultra27jay
    18k on a stock 2006 duramax hitch.

Havasu Hangin'
    I've got 1,500lbs on the tongue.

lucky
    I've got 1,500lbs on the tongue.
    SHE'S A BIG'N HA ? LMAO

nodigg
    Thanks but I was hoping someone was pushing 2500k? Just had my hitch pulled off by a shop and beefed it up to do 3k, (I hope) .

H2oracer
    Thanks but I was hoping someone was pushing 2500k? Just had my hitch pulled off by a shop and beefed it up to do 3k, (I hope) .
    As a general rule tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of the gross weight of the trailer. Even if your truck is a one ton you have exceeded its capacities. Your owners manuel will give you the maximum capacities of your tow vehicle. A beefed up hitch isn't going to do any good if your vehicle won't handle the weight. As an example my 3/4 ton 2003 dodge diesel is rated at 950lb tongue weight on the bumber and 1,240lb over the rear axel for a fifth wheel trailer.

nodigg
    Weel, just got back from Iowa to LHC with the silo, 2800 lbs on the new hitch 9,000 trailer weight and the HD towd it like it wasn't even back there! BTW, I put 3,000 on my 5th wheel plate all the time. Got er hooked up right now for a departure at 5am.

jh4rt
    1. Hitch / Frame failure: If you don't have a weld-on hitch and you aren't using a weight distributing hitch, you run the risk of breaking either the hitch or (more likely) the frame of your truck by overloading it.
    2. Rear Tires: If you overload the rear tires, they get hot and can eventually tread-separate causing a HUGE blowout; the kind like you see on semi's where the whole tread comes off the sidewalls and rips half your fender off.
    Why would you want to tow with that much tongue weight? 15% is plenty. Any more than that detracts from towing control.

H2oracer
    Post a picture so we can see it.

nodigg
    I'll post a pic when I get back from Frisco. I removed the light weight factory hitch and built a new beefy one square tubing under the frame and of course the air bags help. The tires are rated for about 500 pounds more than the load I put one them. I scaled it out before rolling with it of course.
    I'm not a rooky to trucking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast