Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skeg on a jet nozzel

Dominator Scott
    Hey everyone.
    Well as you might have guessed I have another jet boat question. I just recieved me place diverter from Rex Marine for the Sanger and didn't realize that they don't come with the skeg. Anyways I am installing it tonight after work and was wondering how important that skeg is to have on that nozzel?
    Can I run her up to top speed and not worry about the boat trying to swap ends on me?
    Can my existing skeg be made to work with some modifications?

Fire Water
    Scott, my whitewater boat doesn't have a skeg because it would get broken off in the shallow water. It will help with manuverability at slow speed and will also give you a little control when you let up on the throttle. Just remember that if you dont have a skeg and you let up on the gas you'll have no steering.

Dominator Scott
    Scott, my whitewater boat doesn't have a skeg because it would get broken off in the shallow water. It will help with manuverability at slow speed and will also give you a little control when you let up on the throttle. Just remember that if you dont have a skeg and you let up on the gas you'll have no steering.
    She doesn't steer worth a chit when you let off the gas now so I imagine there won't be much difference. :rollside:

LAFD
    when i had my jet i never had one on my jet. jets dont turn worth crap unless you use some throttle.

wright27
    It is just extra drag in the water. Not worth loosing 2 mph.

mach1alaska
    I would never run a rudder on a jet. I have had 5 jetboats and have removed rudders from 2 of them. Install the diverter , throw a roost and have fun.
    Place diverter= lake lice cannon :skull: :skull:

centerhill condor
    yea, what they said...the jet works as vectored thrust. and it doesn't work unless there's thrust to vector. Like we said earlier take her out and drive it real easy like..at idle and you'll see how it can spin on the boat's center which is the ultimate in low speed manuverability. yea, you'll have to spin the wheel back and forth at low speed until you realize you're over reacting.
    take it nice and easy. but realize its a jetski with a big block motor...exactly the same. skeg on a jet...you crack me up! my jet doesn't even have bolt holes for a rudder. They're real thin aluminum anyway and get bent or broken.

Dominator Scott
    yea, what they said...the jet works as vectored thrust. and it doesn't work unless there's thrust to vector. Like we said earlier take her out and drive it real easy like..at idle and you'll see how it can spin on the boat's center which is the ultimate in low speed manuverability. yea, you'll have to spin the wheel back and forth at low speed until you realize you're over reacting.
    take it nice and easy. but realize its a jetski with a big block motor...exactly the same. skeg on a jet...you crack me up! my jet doesn't even have bolt holes for a rudder. They're real thin aluminum anyway and get bent or broken.
    Well I guess this about sums up that question. Now I can see why the guys at Speedwake.com sent me here with my jet boat questions and I thankyou for everyones input and advice.
    I am hitting the garage tonight to install the diverter and the gate valve so she is ready for sea trials this weekend. Then the only thing left is a set of over transom headers and she will be stylin'.
    I must say I truely love my 32 Dominator but this Sanger is an absolute blast to drive.

olbiezer
    where are you guys running that its so freeking shallow that u bend a rudder sticking down 4 inches? id say if its that shallow u dont need to be there anyway.......just my 2 cents worth......ive had jets with and without em.....i like the way they handle with a small one.....maybe its jut peace of mind i dont know........ :rollside: hell maybe its that i am just used to working with a small one

67weimann
    hell maybe its that i am just used to working with a small one
    that could be it :yuk: :crossx:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast