Thread: Faster Please

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
    HP500 carberated 850 Holley. With out tearing down the moter what can be done to these moters to make more horse power? :argue:

Taylorman
    Blower

jkh04200
    Back in my "street racing" days I was amazed at how many people would put a motor in a car, set tihe timing at thats all. Properly tuning is whole other ball game. I was always the fastest around back in those days. Considering what I was driving. I'm new to boating and I know that the water and the street are two totally diffrent animals. First thing I'd do is play with the timing to find out how many rpms you can get out of your motor. What kind of fuel pump are you running? Could you be a little lean at WOT. Also not sure why it would be any diffrent how about adding some spacer under the carb if you have room. In my experience whenever I raised the carb I picked up low end. If you can do this and pick up low end the you could change your prop to gain some MPH. Also is your prop labbed. That right there is worth 3-4 MPH. I may be way off. Thats just my .02

SmokinLowriderSS
    Does pulling the heads off and having them ported count as "tearing the engine down? Probably 50 to 75HP there.
    Better exhaust system of some type (another 30 to 40+ perhaps), nitrous oxide (sky's the limit, how good are your rods? 50 to 300+HP).
    A "proper" tune is vital, yes. Correctly adjusted valve lash (even on hydraulics), maximum usable timing, correct fuel mixture (and sufficient volume), all can have a huge impact on power output.

Stingray69
    Crane 741 cam. Stock is 721. Upgrade is 731.

YeLLowBoaT
    Good tune up and New intake /exhaust... other then a cam swap that is about all you can do to gain HP....
    OH you can also go too a lighter wieght oil... it will add a few HP.