Thread: What you think?

jkh04200
    Here the skinny.
    1984 Chris craft 186 Scorpion 228 merc., 305 chevy.
    I have done a valve job, minor porting to the heads. Roller rockers 1.6
    New cam, milled the heads .060. Compression should be approx 9.5 to1
    through transom exhaust.
    Would changing the intake to a performer be worth the time and money?
    Thanks.

Moneypitt
    Depends on the cam.....060 off the heads!! what were you thinking??.....If I recall the 305 heads left alot to be desired in port size, and valve diameter. Additional intake flow may back up like a clogged sewer line.........I would say run it like it is, get a base line on performance, THEN make the change and come back and tell us how much it gained/lost in performance........MP
    PS: So now what do the chambers CC out to?? I think they were already tiny.

jkh04200
    Thanks for the reply.
    When I bought the boat I had to jerk the motor due to an exhaust leak. While it was out I pulled the heads to freshen up the valves. And of course while I was there , you've probably know what happened next. Since I was laready planning on going through transom exhaust. I wanted to let it breath a little better. So, I went to see Greg. All he does is performance heads. From what the performance people and even the engine builders I know they all say, "he's a magician when it comes to heads". So, he's the one that suggested the milling of the heads. And instructed me where to grind. He picked out the cam for me. And unfortunatley I put the cam card where I'd never lose it. Guess what, cant remeber where I put it. But that was 2 summers ago. It'll show up eventually. I was just wondering about the intake. The big powerful 305 will only due so much. And I wasn't gonna spend to money to upgrade to a 350. The boat is 18'6" It'll easily run 61 GPS. I haven't messed with the prop yet. Don't know if I will. This boat gets a little squirrely at those speeds. And honestly, how often do you find smooth enough water to run that fast in such a small boat?

Moneypitt
    So you're not just changing things willy nilly. Again, I think it would be interesting to run the stocker, and then make the switch, with documented results to share with others here on the boards........Documented as to CO$T, and difference in performance.............MP

jkh04200
    Moneypitt,
    I wish I would have been able to do that. I had to pull the motor before I was able to do anything. It had a hole in the y-pipe so natrually water was pouring in. It would have been ideal to get some baseline #'s before I pulled the motor. I guess I could have done this if I would have had a back up bilge pump :rollside: And, after I got it all back together I made a couple of trips out. I like it. That ran like a scalded ass ape. I noticed the access to the gas tank was not screwed down properly. Tried to fix that and found the stringers were rotten. Still used the boat for the rest of the summer. That fall I tore into the floor. ofcourse the floor, the stringers and the transom were history. Will the fun ever stop

Moneypitt
    Yeah.........boats are kinda like that, at least it keeps you out of trouble, taking up all your spare time............MP