Thread: flywheel question

franky
    what do you run in a v-drive, steel flywheel, aluminum flywheel or flex plate?

Highlimit9000
    what do you run in a v-drive, steel flywheel, aluminum flywheel or flex plate?
    I am going to run a steel flywheel. Franky, went ahead and got that KE intercooler. My blower should be here anyday. Then its off to the Dyno!

Sangerboy
    I run a steel one on my Sanger and an aluminum one on the Canyon.

GofastRacer
    I run a polished degreed aluminum flywheel on mine!..

I don't have a flywheel at all... :cry:
    Steve

franky
    I am going to run a steel flywheel. Franky, went ahead and got that KE intercooler. My blower should be here anyday. Then its off to the Dyno!
    I have a aluminum one in my Schiada. The guy balancing the motor for my Hondo said "people usually run alumnum" but the flywheel from the motor I was planning on using (468 w/8-71) has a steel one.

DUCKY
    I would say run a flywheel, aluminum or steel is your choice based on your goals. Although a lot a guys runs them, stay away from a flexplate. Flexplates are designed to be bolted to a torque converter for support, and without it they move all over the place during cranking and generally create starter trouble.

Alum will rev a little quicker, steel will idle a little smoother with large cam. Depends on what you're after.

Marty Gras
    An "SFI" approved flex plate. Less rotating weight and mass, quicker RPMs. But I don't have any experience with them above 9600RPMs, so for that info you would need to ask an "expert".