Thread: cutting stringers

BrendellaJet
    I want to cut the stringers in my boat. Anyone ever done this? Obviously I dont want to weaken them, so do you think I could sandwhich them with some 1/4 inch aluminum and through bolt?
    Reason I want to cut is so I can lower the seats, I want to get about 2 inches lower..., If I need to add another stringer up the middle I could go that route also. What do you think?

boater012
    let us see some pics of the boat without an interior! id probably run another stringer up the midlle and alumiplate the stringers around the area you cutout as well. p.s. make sure you cut a little more than two inches so that when you refiberglass the areas you cut that you will have exactly the 2 inches you are looking for! just my humble .02 worth

455Rocket
    It seems it would be a lot easier to get the interior rebuilt to look more low-profile... cutting stringers in a boat is like cutting the foundation of a house... if ya know what I mean.

Bradf
    Yea, you're a brave man, I would have the guts to do something like that to my boat. Reminds me of Wyle E Coyote cutting a circle around himself in the ground then falling through! :P I can understand the seating deal though, my old mans flatty sits way high up, it feels akward to me.

Get thinner cushions in your seats or something. I know i wouldnt buy a boat with notched stringers.

What seat mounts do you have now? Does the frame sit on top of the stringer now, if it does, you may consider stringer mounts for the seat. That will allow the seat to sit right on stringer.
    sleek

BrendellaJet
    ok, obviously the nays have it.
    The seats Im thinking of using have never been used in a boat that I am aware of. They are lo-backed buckets-I want to make sure they dont stick up too much. Off of the stringer they will stick up about 21 inches-which is about 6 inches above my gunnels. Ill post a pic of them shortly...

flat broke
    ok, obviously the nays have it.
    The seats Im thinking of using have never been used in a boat that I am aware of. They are lo-backed buckets-I want to make sure they dont stick up too much. Off of the stringer they will stick up about 21 inches-which is about 6 inches above my gunnels. Ill post a pic of them shortly...
    Keep an eye out for some used Fiberglass deals. Or call Todd at TRG as I think he is making em now. You have too much money/time into that rig to do somethin cheese with the seats. You gonna have her runnin for this summer? Hit the dyno yet?
    Chris

BrendellaJet
    here are the seats. Like? Dislike? I dont really like the old glass buckets. Everyones got em and thats not what Im looking for. Note, the top of the seat is 21 inches off the ground, hoever due to the rake the seat back is 23 inches long...
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...A_modified.JPG
    Chris, last I spoke to Dave was quite a while ago. Keep telling him to call me when he wants money and he doesn't call. Not ready for it so no rush. It will get wet this summer.

flat broke
    If they were a touch shorter, they would actually look pretty cool. The only drawback may be the reclined angle, but its one of those "feel" things best figured out by the drive, not the peanut gallery. If the upholstery could be removed, you could shave the back down a little then trim and re-cover.
    Good to hear she's goin together good. Mine's gutted, ready to change the floor config and reinforce some bulkheads before we flip her to start on the gel. Gonna try using the Duratech high gloss aditive (not top coat) that Mexrunner gave me the info on. Mixes 1:1 with the gel and removes the need for a surfacing agent. The 1:1 will be nice as well because of the amount of surface area I need to spray on the 20. My only hang up outside of actually gettin it done, is pickin colors. Part of me want's to stay with a yellow base, and the other part of me whats to run with a red/white setup. Who knows.
    With regard to the mill, summer will be here sooner than later, and completion/dyno dates will start to fill up fast.
    Chris