Thread: Folding trailer tounge?

79Hawaiian
    Anyone ever convert to a folding tounge on the trailer? I am looking to buy as slightly smaller boat that will fit in the garage but I think I will still need to trim some space off the front. Does it compormise the structure?
    I would like to hear any horror stories if anyone have some to share. I looks scary to me.

frenchy
    I was looking to do the swing-away tongue, but I ended up going to a welding shop that works on trailers and big rigs to have a slide out instead. They cut the tongue and moved the winch stand all for less than 100 bucks.

HM
    79Hawaiian:
    Anyone ever convert to a folding tounge on the trailer? I am looking to buy as slightly smaller boat that will fit in the garage but I think I will still need to trim some space off the front. Does it compormise the structure?
    I would like to hear any horror stories if anyone have some to share. I looks scary to me.Extreme Trailers does a conversion to most trailers, but it is a bit more than $100. They actually started a separate company called Pivot Hitch. Trail Rite also does conversions to the swing away type, but also more than $100. The structure is actually better with both of their systems as they weld a 1/2 plate on top and bottom of the front triangle of the trailer.
    On my last trailer, I bought a plain receiver and 2 inch solid stock and had a welder put it together, for under $100 bucks. It was o.k., but a bit of a bastard.

wsm9808
    I had mine converted to a slide in tounge as well. Works very well . Cost 215$ which included a new hitch assembly and paint. I like being able to take the tounge off at night when we travel, dont have to worry about somebody snatching it from the motel parking lot.

HM
    My own conversion was to a slide-in type, which I did not point out. I thought mine was a bit of a bastard, but some people saw it and thought it was totally trick. All relative. Mine worked well without any problems, but I only had an 18' flattie and not much weight.
    I have a new swing-away tongue (actually a totally new trailer) from TrailRite and it is SWEET! The swing away works great, and I can put a locking receiver pin in the swingaway plate while the tongue is swung for added security. Now that I have a swing-away type of tongue, I would be hard pressed to go to anything else.
    Extreme Trailer/Pivot Hitch advertises a $299 conversion kit on their web site at Pivot Hitch

TrailRite will do it too, but you have to call them. They are in Santa Ana, CA.

gnarley
    I did my own & cost about $50.00 in materials! It took a little work but was well worth the effort. I tried to find someone to do it but they were way to expensive do to the liability factor or even a kit to buy, but couldn't find one anywhere. I did the folding tongue instead of the slider, as I did not want to plumb in a hydraulic coupler or disconnect it every time I had it off or on & risk air in the brake line. The brake line has the existing rubber hose at the pivot and has been trouble free all season so far
    If you need info on how I did mine shoot me an email

HavasuDreamin'
    That is a great web site Holy Moly. I saved the site to my favorites and will probably by the pivot hitch sometime this winter and perform the retro fit. It looks extremely simple, especially for me since I do not have any breaks on my trailer. Right On!

JetBoatRich
    I have a removeable hitch, nice to get the xtra room in the garage. The brake and lights have a quick connect, the drag is keeing an eye in the brake resivoir to make sure it doesn't go dry.

79Hawaiian
    Great info! Thanks!