Thread: 502 water temp

riverracerx
    Just curious what water temps everyone is seeing on their 502s? I have a 502 Mag EFI and at cruising speed and WOT I see 180, pegged. It idle and slower speeds the needle bobs between 150 and 180. When the impeller starts to go bad it runs above 180 in to the 190-200 range and then after a day the impeller is toasted.
    When I had my boat serviced they said my temp gauge was off about 10 degrees. Read hotter than actual. I have Gaffrig II's.
    So is 180 the best place to have it sit when running? Should I check the thermostat and get one that runs cooler/opens earlier?
    My father in law said he thinks that is too hot, but it has been the norm, so should I be concerned?
    Thanks.

kevnmcd
    Chris - Mine reads a steady 160°

riverracerx
    At WOT. What about idleing around or slow speeds?

jbone
    Mine zz502 is about 160-180 while idleing and 130-140 cruising.
    J

Pismo
    150 in a small boat, maybe 160 after a hard run.

DMOORE
    Both of mine idle at 150 and run 160 during the summer in 90 degree water. I don't have the the same motors but I would say, 180 is a bit warm for a boat motor. Most tuners like to see 160 during a constant run.
    Darrell.

Marty Gras
    Pull both hoses off of the water pump housing (Bravo pump). Next, take the "feed hose" off at the thermostat housing. You know, two that go out, one large one goes to the block pump, and the remaining one (port side) is the "feed hose". While it is removed, flush water (garden hose WOT) backwards thru the oil and P/S coolers back to the (Bravo) pump area. Often shops don't BACK FLUSH THE OIL COOLERS and impeller pieces, rocks, even sand can clog your water flow. If you have a problem in the coolers, the pieces will be forced out and onto the bilge area of your boat. You will often find your exhaust manifolds and risers will run 20 or more degrees cooler after this little task, and your motor will cool right down to the 160 (F) thermostat that controls the EFI motors. Do this with EVERY impeller change.

riverracerx
    Did it last weekend as I changed the bad impeller. I got three pieces out of the backflush. No difference in water temp. Still 180. Think I will put a cooler thermostat in it and try that.
    Gonna put a temp gauge on the block too. Don't know how accurate the Gaffri II is?