Thread: Copper Header Gaskets

RICHARD TILL
    i`ve got a set of copper header gaskets (BBC) and i know "nothing" about how to run them. had them about 8 years and paid $30. do i put them on bare or use silicone? do they work on both aluminum and steel heads. are the garbage? anything? like i say, i know nothing about running these gaskets. :220v:

Devilman
    i`ve got a set of copper header gaskets (BBC) and i know "nothing" about how to run them. had them about 8 years and paid $30. do i put them on bare or use silicone? do they work on both aluminum and steel heads. are the garbage? anything? like i say, i know nothing about running these gaskets. :220v:
    I've got a set on my 460. When I put 'em on, I was told to use a little of the red hi-temp RTV around the ports. Been running them for 2 years & have had the headers off & reused them without any problems.... I'm thinking if the flanges are in good shape, you could run them bare. :rollside:

Blown Nordic 124
    Copper head gaskets are by far the most reliable and the only gasket that is reusable. BUT have plenty of rtv silicone on hand. Around the water ports they will leak if put on dry. My first experience with them was a real learning experience to say the least. If you decide to run them give me a call and I will give you step by step instructions. I also run a felpro head gasket part # 375-1027 on a 475 CI BBC nitrous motor for more than 8 yrs with no problems at all. they are for a older mark iv block. They dont have all the problems associated with dead soft copper gaskets. These gaskets do have a copper fire ring instead of steel which keeps down on corrosion with lake water sitting in the block all the time. Good luck.

I think we're talking apples n oranges here. I believe the question was about header gaskets not head gaskets.
    I've got a set on my 460. When I put 'em on, I was told to use a little of the red hi-temp RTV around the ports. Been running them for 2 years & have had the headers off & reused them without any problems.... I'm thinking if the flanges are in good shape, you could run them bare.
    Since I'm running a BBF and have always had problems with header gaskets wearing out quickly, I have to ask...............Are you using the CJ size or standard size in the copper gaskets?
    It's a pretty big mismatch with the Bassett headers as Bassett makes all their headers with the big tubes (2" I think) and the standard BBF exhaust port is lots smaller.
    I've been running the set of the standard Felpro gaskets for the past year and they're still holding up. I think that's a record for me though.

Devilman
    I think we're talking apples n oranges here. I believe the question was about header gaskets not head gaskets.
    Since I'm running a BBF and have always had problems with header gaskets wearing out quickly, I have to ask...............Are you using the CJ size or standard size in the copper gaskets?
    It's a pretty big mismatch with the Bassett headers as Bassett makes all their headers with the big tubes (2" I think) and the standard BBF exhaust port is lots smaller.
    I've been running the set of the standard Felpro gaskets for the past year and they're still holding up. I think that's a record for me though.
    Uhhh, that's a good question, LOL.... I honestly can't remember, but seems like the gaskets match up to the header tube size pretty close. I got 'em from Jeg's & their catalog only lists one part # for 429-460..... I'd guess they are the standard size.

RICHARD TILL
    thanks for the replies. if the ports match, i`m going to take some red rtv and try the gaskets on a set of aluminum brodix bb2 plus heads and rewarder headers.