Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flying with a 3yr old....What to do?

Sherpa
    benadryl is your freind............. seriously.
    --Sherpa

Dave4XTC
    We just did the trip last week with a 1.5 yr. old, Go to Costco and get the 7in DVD Player for $199 it will last the whole 5 hrs on a good charge, Sit at the back of the plane it's easier to get up and walk around in the back galley.
    Also depending on the plane get the 3 middle sits and that will give you all more room.
    Our son had tubes in his ears so we didn't have to worry about the pressure change.
    Test out before what works better med wise our son gets hyped up on Benedryl ( Damn kid)
    Good Luck

jimslade
    I can't believe you people(read sickos) are using drugs to sedate your kids because you are to LAZY to keep them occupied. I raised 3 boys and we took them everywhere. My kids learned how to behave and when they were restless it was MY job to keep them occupied. Play with your kids. Not just on holidays. When they are young, its the best time of your life. Give them the window seat and let them chew gum. Enjoy! 4 years old was a great time with my kids. When they get a life of their own, you will miss them.

voodoomedman
    Just got back from South Carolina and we flew with our 18 month old. Don't take this the wrong way but if your kid is a screaming brat then people will be annoyed. Otherwise if your kid is generally good and everyone can see that you came prepared then everyone appreciates it. The people that will shreek just seeing a kid are either those that don't or never have had kids or old people. But it's as simple as this. Make sure your kid gets plenty of rest. If you keep them awake and tired to make them sleep on the flight it will work the opposite and make them cranky. Good rest and fed normally so they are content. If they are old enough to understand explain to them before the flight about being good and indoor voices and such and maybe they get some kind of reward for being good. Anyways, yes you can use the dvd players or a laptop as long as there is no wireless connection or the connection is turned off. Some planes now have dc outlets as well but not at all seats so inquire about it and try and get one of those seats. You don't have to use headphones if you turn the volume low enough so basically only your row will hear it. People in our row were actually watching Baby Einstein too. And most should be appreciative to listen to that instead of crying kids. If you need any help ask the flight attendants. They are great with the kids and at making it easy to fly with kids. Also have plenty of snacks but give them to them slowly as a busy kid is a behaving kid. You'll be surprised. If your kid is normally well behaved he/she will be fine on the flight. The ones that are usually a pain are ones that are a pain all the time and their parents don't give them any discipline.

voodoomedman
    I can't believe you people(read sickos) are using drugs to sedate your kids because you are to LAZY to keep them occupied. I raised 3 boys and we took them everywhere. My kids learned how to behave and when they were restless it was MY job to keep them occupied. Play with your kids. Not just on holidays. When they are young, its the best time of your life. Give them the window seat and let them chew gum. Enjoy! 4 years old was a great time with my kids. When they get a life of their own, you will miss them.
    Well said.

ratso
    LOL at this thread... I'll take the Benadryl or whatever to sedate myself from some of these kids I've had to fly with. I don't agree with sedating kids... lmao... but Jim, it's too bad most parents don't share your beliefs... They let their friggin' kids run wild and will make a plane flight, a movie, church (not that I go anymore) or going out to eat, pure HELL... :yuk:

ratso
    Just got back from South Carolina and we flew with our 18 month old. Don't take this the wrong way but if your kid is a screaming brat then people will be annoyed. Otherwise if your kid is generally good and everyone can see that you came prepared then everyone appreciates it. The people that will shreek just seeing a kid are either those that don't or never have had kids or old people. But it's as simple as this. Make sure your kid gets plenty of rest. If you keep them awake and tired to make them sleep on the flight it will work the opposite and make them cranky. Good rest and fed normally so they are content. If they are old enough to understand explain to them before the flight about being good and indoor voices and such and maybe they get some kind of reward for being good. Anyways, yes you can use the dvd players or a laptop as long as there is no wireless connection or the connection is turned off. Some planes now have dc outlets as well but not at all seats so inquire about it and try and get one of those seats. You don't have to use headphones if you turn the volume low enough so basically only your row will hear it. People in our row were actually watching Baby Einstein too. And most should be appreciative to listen to that instead of crying kids. If you need any help ask the flight attendants. They are great with the kids and at making it easy to fly with kids. Also have plenty of snacks but give them to them slowly as a busy kid is a behaving kid. You'll be surprised. If your kid is normally well behaved he/she will be fine on the flight. The ones that are usually a pain are ones that are a pain all the time and their parents don't give them any discipline.
    It's too bad that you can't just ship the unruly kids by UPS... :idea:

jbone
    I guess I've been lucky. My girls are 4 and 5 now. They have been to Australia twice (14 hrs from LAX to Brisbane), and various Mexico vacations. They have never cried or been a problem. The redeye helps though, they sleep most of the way.
    Bigger planes have individual monitors and headsets so you can watch what you want, or play games.
    Crayons and coloring books were good, or other plane friendly activities.
    Don't forget, there will be a meal served. That could take up some time too.
    The window seat won't be much of a help, since everything below will just be blue.
    Good luck, I think the 5 hours will fly by. lol.
    J

voodoomedman
    It's too bad that you can't just ship the unruly kids by UPS... :idea:
    I hope no one ever does that. You wouldn't believe some of the other stuff people have tried.

Schiada76
    Drive. :220v:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast