Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Flying with a 3yr old....What to do?

Sleek-Jet
    They allow something like 3.5 oz total but it must be seperated in clear plastic bag and you may be subject to additional screening, its just easier not to bring any.
    Just don't write anything on the bag...
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/28/idi...gie/index.html

C-2
    Thanks for all the suggestions – your input is very much appreciated.
    Our girlie is well-behaved and courteous, but busy. I’ll call the airline and find out what’s available, and I like the idea of downloaded videos, movies and even an Ipod. We plan on surprising her with Curious George (she saw it at the movies) and Little Mermaid – she’s been flipping out over that one.
    I waited 37 years to have my first and only child, so my wife and I are very mindful of not disturbing others. We’ll be alright, sounds like I’m worrying about it too much
    Now PAYLOAN on the on the other hand – he’s got a handful (literally).
    And to all the guys with no patience for kids – like I said, I was 37 years without. You are missing an incredible slice of life that brings you more happiness than boats, booze, money, and sex will ever give you (seriously). OK, well maybe not the sex part….
    Thanks again

C-2
    We just did Maui two weeks ago. I don't know which airline you're flying, but we took Hawaiian and they have individual "tv's" available ($15) and there are movies, tv shows, music videos, music, etc. on them. Very cool stuff. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't watch Ice Age 2 and sleep to Phantom of the Opera songs........
    That's too funny, outr little girlie also loves the Phantom soundtrack. As she gets older, she's more afraid of the movie itself. Personally, we are Phantom junkies and have seen it 6-7 times....a production is coming to San Bdo in April.

Three Days Only
    If you take a portable DVD player. Get some good noise cancelling headphones or you will not be able to hear shit. We took the kids to Hawaii last year. Bought them both DVD players, niether of them were loud enough to hear once in the air. We bought some noise cancelling headsets on Maui for the trip back and they worked bitchen. Without them, they are a waste.
    Laptops, Phones, DVD players they are all allowed.
    I would take some crayons, coloring books, DVD player, nyquil gel caps, a bong load, some cocktails in the bar, you and you little girl should be good!!!!

H4215
    Where on Hawaii Craig? If I remember right you've been there a couple of times, correct? I flew to Maui with my 2 yr. old in 2002, it can be a trying experience; but with all the good advice you have gotten thus far I am sure you'll do fine. I know your daughter will. I took a portable DVD player, and back then it was only good for 3 hours; luckily I had an add'l battery. BTW just a side note; if you're going to Maui a portable DVD player is also very helpful on the road to Hana and Haleakala. Anyway he only watched one movie, but we also brought along a few CD's that were Kid's movies soundtracks (Shrek, Toys) that he liked which kept him occupied for another hour and a half. We had kept him occupied for close to 4 hours with movie, music, and coloring books. With all the newer technology and your resourcefulness it'll be a breeze.
    Here's the rest of the story though; unfortunately during the last hour of the flight everything went to hell. We had done such a good job keeping him occupied and busy, we missed nap time; big friggin' mistake. The last hour of the flight he was overly tired, and you could say cranky; that's an understatement. I walked him around a little, but as some of you may know walking around is not going to alleviate over tired; but rather enhance it. Also we are preparing for descent so I am getting shued back to our seats. By this time he was pissed and letting everyone know it, and he refused to chew his gum so his ears were bothering him as well. Just before we touched down he's crying, my wife is almost in tears because she feels everyone is staring and giving her and my son dirty looks, and most importantly my son and wife are upset and there is very little I can do to alleviate it. I know at this point we're just going to have to ride it out until we land. The only thing I could do anything about was the staring and dirty looks (those of you that are frequent flyers or well travelled will not like the next part so you may not want to read it). I said in a loud enough voice to be heard and with a cold calm that I was from Maui, and if I got any static about this incidence with my son; they would have a difficult time finding a tolerable meal because I have cousins and family that work all over the Island. For the most part everyone was understanding on the flight and the Flight Attendants did their best to help, but their were a few non-parents that were giving occasional looks until I said my peace. I am by no means saying I did the right thing or the courteous thing, but I'll admit I was selfish during that period and my only concern during it was my family. He slept almost the entire way back on the return flight. I felt like we were well enough prepared, but as all of you know that are parents; sometimes stuff just happens.

wolfie
    benadryl is your freind............. seriously.
    --Sherpa
    I agree. And if that doesn't work, Kwick Start fluid (ether) on a rag works wonders.

All IN
    Besides the DVD which I always bring you could buy a additioanl battery that works on any DVD player.
    Go to the .99 store and buy 10-15 toys. Gift wrap them and let him/her open some in each direction. They love opening gifts and it will keep them busy.

SHOTKALLIN
    get an early flight. 8am you will get to the airport at 6am. wake up is 4am? wake the kid you awake at 4am. the kid will sleep on the plane.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345