Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Powdercoat

Fiat48
    Unfortunately against my better judgement I had my powdercoating done here locally. It was supposed to be a deep red color (Blood Red) but looks like more orange than red in the sunlight. Obvious the color on the chip I selected doesn't match the real thing. The color is so far off, it would look horrible if I installed it in the boat.
    I am quite sure I will get no satifaction with the powder coat outfit. But anyway, the powder coat needs to be removed I guess to be redone again. Has anyone had any luck with glass beading this stuff off? The company that did the powdersoat wants $150 per hour to remove the stuff, unless they "bake" it off which they said was quicker and less expensive, but I am afraid of warped parts.
    PS: Snowboat, Ineedav and the rest: Now you know why I have a complete machine shop for engines and everything done in house. Never had any luck farming anything out in this town.
    [ March 27, 2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Fiat48 ]

GofastRacer
    You sure you don't live in AZ!.

ACCEPTENCE
    Well that blows about your parts. I am planning to do some recoating of parts and would be curious to find the answer to your removal question as well. Keep us posted if you come up with the answer off the boards. Thanks, G.

Fiat48
    That sucks, This is way to small of a town to pull that. Especially seemingly charging you full price to remove the color they screwed up on.
    I am looking for someone to do some welding to aluminum parts I need holes filled in. Do you know of anyone local?
    BTW- If you don't mind, PM me on the shop that did your powdercoating.
    Morg.

Fiat48
    Morg, you are in luck on the welding. Quality Heli Arc would be 1st choice. 2nd choice would be RCS conversions (Jim Cerroni). Both excellent alluminum welders and Jim is also a great fabricator and used to be crew with "The Sting" BAH in the 80's. Either can fix you right up.
    I am not going to mention the powdercoater as of yet. I don't think I have have talked to the main person there yet. Tomorrow I plan to get hold of the owner (unless I have already and don't know it) and give him a chance to remedy the problem. Actually I thought this was all my fault, but a trip back over there proved to me that the color chip was way off the actual color I received. I hate to bitch. Guess I am looking for the guy to say "Yes, this is orange. And it is not red. We will take care of it." But by the counter guy's reaction, I don't have a lot of faith. I'll try to get a picture up when I can figure out how to again.

We've had good luck with regular old parts dip or carburetor cleaner removing it. Also guys on here have used Jasco Paint Stipper and have said it works well. Don't know on glass beading, never done it. I'd think it would rough up the metal though which wouldn't be that good for recoating with transparent powders. Solid colors I'm sure wouldn't be a problem in that regard.

Fiat48:
    Morg, you are in luck on the welding. Quality Heli Arc would be 1st choice. 2nd choice would be RCS conversions (Jim Cerroni). Both excellent alluminum welders and Jim is also a great fabricator and used to be crew with "The Sting" BAH in the 80's. Either can fix you right up.
    I am not going to mention the powdercoater as of yet. I don't think I have have talked to the main person there yet. Tomorrow I plan to get hold of the owner (unless I have already and don't know it) and give him a chance to remedy the problem. Actually I thought this was all my fault, but a trip back over there proved to me that the color chip was way off the actual color I received. I hate to bitch. Guess I am looking for the guy to say "Yes, this is orange. And it is not red. We will take care of it." But by the counter guy's reaction, I don't have a lot of faith. I'll try to get a picture up when I can figure out how to again. Fiat48,
    Thank's for the referal's on the welding.
    Good luck with the powder coaters. It seems to me you would not stay around to long if you don't stand behing your work. hopefully they will help you out.
    BTW - while we are talking about referals. I have a modified carburator that came with my motor (830 cfm holley). I would like to find someone in town that could take a look at it. I want to see what's been done to it & how it may react when it comes time to run the motor.
    Morg.

126driver
    Morg, do yourself a big favor and send that carb to John Avery at Engine Dynamics in Cal.

Stab-n-Steer
    Fiat48,
    Unfortunately I have been down that road with powder coating... If the parts are aluminum DO NOT have the finished burned off. The temperatures required will anneal the aluminum making it dead soft (like 3003).
    Why can't the Powder Coater just re-coat the parts without removing the first coat? There are many "two stage" powder coat finishes and the second coat should adhere just fine. This is what I had done when my PC screwed up the color and it worked fine.
    Good luck,
    S&S

Fiat48
    Stab-n-Steer:
    Fiat48,
    Unfortunately I have been down that road with powder coating... If the parts are aluminum DO NOT have the finished burned off. The temperatures required will anneal the aluminum making it dead soft (like 3003).
    Why can't the Powder Coater just re-coat the parts without removing the first coat? There are many "two stage" powder coat finishes and the second coat should adhere just fine. This is what I had done when my PC screwed up the color and it worked fine.
    Good luck,
    S&S Thanks everyone for the heads up. Yeah, I was worried about heating that aluminum. After a lengthy discussion with the Powdercoater, he has agreed to redo it. BUT I have to strip it. It has a clear coat also so he wants all removed. We parted on good terms and he would like to see the boat as I showed him some pictures, He seems somewhat enthused with the boat for some reason. So, I will be out there trying to get this "Orange" off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast