Thread: crossing cruiser wakes

Cattitude1
    I've got a new to Daytona 30 with 496's- need seat time but trying to accelerate the learning curve.
    I ran a 25 Daytona for 3 yrs and my 28 Pantera for 3 yrs, lots of seat time cruising 50-60 mph
    It was real quiet on the lake this weekend, but on the way home I had a shot at a friend's cruiser wake- about 3' worth - figured it was a good time to see how the 30 handled that, at a steady cruise of 60, I swept towards the wake and crossed about 30 deg off from being perpendicular- not optimum but within reason- well, I got more air than anticipated and a little more bow attititude than I wanted. Trim was pretty neutral, about 2-3 ft of roost, it has electric dial gages which are marked neutral, mechanical heads up indicators are on order. I was not accelerating or lifting when I hit the wake, pulled back some in the air, landed and continued on.
    Bad news is I spooked my wife pretty good and I don't want a repeat- at least with her in the boat. She's a pretty good sport and was ok with the milder launches in the Pantera- In the 25 I used to just cross further back or way slower.
    Any constructive criticism- tricks or tips from peeps with lots of seat time in a like sized cat?
    sorry- no pics

DCBDaytona
    At cruising speeds in that range in your Daytona, you probably are going to air it out.
    Rule #1 - Never back out of the throttle when going over wakes, it only makes it worse.
    Rule#2 - Speed up, pack some air, and I guarantee it will be much smoother.
    All in all, you just need seat time to get used to your new beast!

andy01
    You had to much postitive trim. That is why the bow lifted. You should have slowed a bit (40-50 if the roller was that big) trimed in a bit and then pinned the sticks when you went over it. (You would have gone over it at about 60 then)The boat would have left the water, but it would have flown straight and level. That's the trick. Straight and level. Then as soon as it hit the water sticks back on again and you would have never felt but a little air under the boat, you would now be passing the boat at 80 accelerating to whatever.
    There is a lot of bad that can come out of this doing it wrong. Do it right and you can have fun, do it wrong and you can end up upside down.
    Andy

andy01
    At cruising speeds in that range in your Daytona, you probably are going to air it out.
    Rule #1 - Never back out of the throttle when going over wakes, it only makes it worse.
    Rule#2 - Speed up, pack some air, and I guarantee it will be much smoother.
    All in all, you just need seat time to get used to your new beast!
    You can sometimes back out and it will end better/safer Rule 1 is not always right.
    Rule 2 you speed up and run your boat across a 3 roller...... :rollside: I'll bring the video camara. You crazy 22 twin outboard guys.

DCBDaytona
    You can sometimes back out and it will end better/safer Rule 1 is not always right.
    Rule 2 you speed up and run your boat across a 3 roller...... :rollside: I'll bring the video camara. You crazy 22 twin outboard guys.
    This was my perspective if I was driving a 30', not mine....I'd be dead by now