Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Keys....

GBarron97
    If you ever have the chance to do it, take a trip to Florida and run the Florida Keys. It is not only a beautiful run, but is a lot of fun when you run with a group.
    Try it sometime, you won't be disappointed.

FASTERDAMITT
    Done it in a car a couple times.. just not the same I'm sure. :rollside:

DMOORE
    That's one trip I have not had the pleasure of checking off my list.
    Darrell.

LuckyStrike
    I Lived In Key Largo for a couple of years. Its some of the best boating you can have, WOT through Mangroves.
    There is a Cut between the Gulf and the Ocean in Ley Largo that was Actually Cut through Solid Corral Rock about 20 some feet deep 60 feet wide.
    Killer :crossx:

TCHB
    Just got back from Florida. Nice weather and fun place in the winter.

bubbletop409
    Have been looking into just such a trip, couple of questions.
    1 Is navigating the gulf side run down the keys difficult? I have seen some charts that show a whole lot of real shallow water on the gulf side.
    2 How rough are the average seas if you run down the Atlantic side?
    3 Best time of the year?
    Thanks for the help, Larry.

Magic34
    1 Is navigating the gulf side run down the keys difficult? I have seen some charts that show a whole lot of real shallow water on the gulf side.
    3 Best time of the year?
    As long as you dont draft more than 6 feet, you are good to go. We have a 55' Sea Ray in Tampa and we used to make the trip down to Key West every year for New Years. You could head out a mile or 2 offshore and head down, or you can take the intercostal.
    Just look out for winds becuase it can get rough between the main side and Key West. We had to turn around once leaving Key West and back to the marina because it was way too rough. Ended up flying back to Tampa and going back for the boat a week later.
    Between key West and the Bahamas, it is the best boating I have ever done.

LuckyStrike
    3 Best time of the year?
    #1 Depends on where you want to start. Yes the water on the Gulf side is Skinny..Study Charts and watch the water color. Dont wander off to far out of the Intercoastal between key Largo and Marathon.
    #2 I am usually down between Christmas and the first of March. Ive seen it from Mild to Wild...Temps from the low 40s to Low 90s Seas from 1-2 to Go to the Bar and forget Boating,,,Another great trip is from Lauderdale to Bimini,
    Or south on the ICWW to Islemorada Cut over to the Sand Bar then out to Sea and head back north Hawk Channel to Miami/Lauderdale
    #3 I love it Any Time in the Summer/Fall Seas are usually Flat Water surface Temps can get as warm as 96 in the bay/gulf mid to upper 80s in the ocean
    Water Temps in the winter Very Cold 60-low 70s to as warm as Low 80s Jan-Feb
    If you have any Questions dont hesitate to PM me My grandparents had a place in the Early Fiftys I personally have been in S.Fla/Upper Keys since the early 60s Home away from home. Some of the Greatest Boating on Earth!! :crossx:

bubbletop409
    MAGIC34 and LUCKY STRIKE, thanks for the info. Was thinking of running down the ICW from Miami to Key West, boat draws less than 4'. If the ICW is easy to follow, and depth is not a problem, that would definately be my choice. My concern is I would like to be able to enjoy the trip without having to constantly be checking charts and position. Also have thought of running the Okeechobee channel from the gulf to the Atlantic, anyone done that run? Thoughts? We are looking at late spring to early summer date, April to June most likely.

LuckyStrike
    MAGIC34 and LUCKY STRIKE, thanks for the info. Was thinking of running down the ICW from Miami to Key West, boat draws less than 4'. If the ICW is easy to follow, and depth is not a problem, that would definately be my choice. My concern is I would like to be able to enjoy the trip without having to constantly be checking charts and position. Also have thought of running the Okeechobee channel from the gulf to the Atlantic, anyone done that run? Thoughts? We are looking at late spring to early summer date, April to June most likely.
    Ive never done that trip, My uncle has. Said it was a cool trip.
    No problems on the ICW pick up a local chart Miami Key Biscane/to Key West
    I would get one with the waypoints of the markers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast