Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Engine Masters Shaping up: Ford Kicking Butt

dmontzsta
    How about one of these 4 doors?
    http://www.fpv.com.au/media/19360/banner_gt-p.jpg
    DOHC 5.4 Cobra Motor.

Looks like a ricer....

Sounds like you have some sour grapes. Sorry to hear that.
    Steelcomp, No sour grapes here, just one of the obsatcles of running Fords, makes the breed stronger. It is one of those deals that ".....If I ran the company this is what I'd do" type things. In the 60s you could buy a crate 427, no problem but what if you wanted to run a Cammer or even a Tunnelport or wanted any parts that were not garden varity stuff, now you had a problem unless you were "connected". By that I'm talking about getting the parts guy to order it for you and then you waited.....and waited. Some parts guys didn't want to deal with special orders and some had little or no idea what you are talking about. Not every Ford dealership was into the H/P thing and made no bones about it. Sure, every large city usually had a dealership that were H/P friendly and some raced dealer sponsored race cars, hell, I can name 3 or 4 dealers that did some or all of it just here in the Bay Area. Lets talk about today..My perplexity is why Ford had so many types of engines based on what plant they came from. IE: the 2 and 4 cam 4.6 engines. You have to know what plant the engine came from to know what cam cage and related components your engine has in it, there are 2 types just for the 2V engine that I know of and maybe more that I'm unaware of, the 4V engines are even more confusing, then they throw in the 3V engine just to make sure we are totally confused. I'm not saying Ford should run their company like GM but they could take a lesson or two about part interchangeability and what the average guy wants for his car [or boat] The Ford FRP program is pretty good, I will say that but I get the impression that the only reason they're here is because the other guys are...one of those nasty evils FoMoCo has to contend with. After reading some of the other posts in this thread I suppose Ford isn't as bad as others. [Hi Brian] There I go with the dime novel sh*t again, sorry.

dmontzsta
    Looks like a ricer....
    That is styling, something alot of ricers try to do, but are very confused with.
    Hey...RWD, Cobra Motor and Comfort for 5, if they had it here, sign me up! That would be the ideal daily driver.

That is styling, something alot of ricers try to do, but are very confused with.
    Hey...RWD, Cobra Motor and Comfort for 5, if they had it here, sign me up! That would be the ideal daily driver.

I know.... I work for an "Asian" car manufacturer. Hell, I even drive one (don't tell anyone). Day in, day out, ricers all over. It's no wonder every car I own is domestic. Just my way of sticking it to the man.....

dmontzsta
    I know.... I work for an "Asian" car manufacturer. Hell, I even drive one (don't tell anyone). Day in, day out, ricers all over. It's no wonder every car I own is domestic. Just my way of sticking it to the man.....
    The thing I love the most...
    Is when they buy a body kit and then throw it on un-painted. lol. It is like they are too cheap to paint it first, it really makes the car look like it came rolling out of pick a part.

Hey Brian, I take it you never seen a 65-66 Galaxie with a 427 Tunnelport run huh, and yes they are heavy that what makes it amazing how they run. I think your buddy had issues with the car!..
    Or has he seen a full size 61-62 Galaxie running 8s with FE power. Not a muscle car?....indeed! :yuk:

MAXIMUS
    Fords are a nightmare trying to keep up with all the variances in motors through out the years! The up side to that is it makes it more fun to see the not so common motors & cars at the shows. I don't care how wicked a chevy Yenco or rare vette is. It still has a big block chevy! Meat & potatos... Now the up side is: that do to chevys simplicity we now have a wonderful world of high performance parts to choose from at very affordable prices... I wouldn't bother running anything by a chevy in my boats unless it was a total nostalgia deal.

dmontzsta
    I fthat is a real pic, Ford just jumped the shark
    There is a full write up in 5.0 mag. DOHC Cobra power.

steelcomp
    Don't worry about the story book...it's all good here. Everything you say is true, especially about the exotics, but remember...especially back then...Ford was a small company trying to compete against the corporation power of GM. This sometimes worked in their favor, but most of the time, not. I don't think it's really fair to compare availability of exotics between manufacturers...GM really didn't have anything like the Cammer (nor did anyone else) and I imagine if they did, it would have been just as hard to get ahold of for the average guy. The exotic stuff was for the racers that were going to benefit Ford's image. I don't think (and this is where they made their mistake) Ford ever pictured the exotics as something the general public would be interested in, or could afford. Little did they forsee, there were a whole lot of grass roots racers that were dying to practice that old addage, "what wins on Sunday, sells on Monday", and were willing to mortgage their houses to be able to play with some of that stuff. Yet Ford continues to "tease" the public with things like the Shelby Mustang, the Shelby/Hurst...(one of the most common cars you'd see on a Sunday at the drags), the Boss series Mustangs, Taladega Torinos, etc.
    As for the "now", I think that American car technology is finally catching up with the world, and companies like Ford and GM are searching for better powerplants. The multi-valve idea was only a matter of time, but think of this...the modular engine has been in production for how long now?
    This is getting way off topic, but I think to bring it back a little, the EM challange would be more realistic if they would allow the newer technology ie: the overhead cam stuff, and see what these "gurus" can really do. This two valve, pushrod motor stuff has just about run it's course. :sleeping:Steelcomp, No sour grapes here, just one of the obsatcles of running Fords, makes the breed stronger. It is one of those deals that ".....If I ran the company this is what I'd do" type things. In the 60s you could buy a crate 427, no problem but what if you wanted to run a Cammer or even a Tunnelport or wanted any parts that were not garden varity stuff, now you had a problem unless you were "connected". By that I'm talking about getting the parts guy to order it for you and then you waited.....and waited. Some parts guys didn't want to deal with special orders and some had little or no idea what you are talking about. Not every Ford dealership was into the H/P thing and made no bones about it. Sure, every large city usually had a dealership that were H/P friendly and some raced dealer sponsored race cars, hell, I can name 3 or 4 dealers that did some or all of it just here in the Bay Area. Lets talk about today..My perplexity is why Ford had so many types of engines based on what plant they came from. IE: the 2 and 4 cam 4.6 engines. You have to know what plant the engine came from to know what cam cage and related components your engine has in it, there are 2 types just for the 2V engine that I know of and maybe more that I'm unaware of, the 4V engines are even more confusing, then they throw in the 3V engine just to make sure we are totally confused. I'm not saying Ford should run their company like GM but they could take a lesson or two about part interchangeability and what the average guy wants for his car [or boat] The Ford FRP program is pretty good, I will say that but I get the impression that the only reason they're here is because the other guys are...one of those nasty evils FoMoCo has to contend with. After reading some of the other posts in this thread I suppose Ford isn't as bad as others. [Hi Brian] There I go with the dime novel sh*t again, sorry.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast