Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interior help

txboatnut
    Ok guys got some questions on my interior. I have a taylor ss. The seats mount to a aluminum plate that is bolted to the floor and to the side of the boat.
    1. What is the best way to secure the seats in those two places? I tried using lag screws but they did not hold very well.
    2. Since I re did my seats I built them out of marine plywood so do I need to use some resin on them to help keep water out.
    3. If so never worked with fiberglass or resin so how much resin do you use and what is the mix ratio?
    Any help any one can give me would be great.

On the seat question, you can coat them with Polyuethene, glass or epoxie resin. If you cannot get a fastener to hold in the floor, chances are your floor may be soft, like rotten, as it's very common in our older boats. The floors are generally plywood, covered with a layer of glass mat, then carpeted. So don't expect an eigth inch of fiberglass to hold your seat in place. The floors absorb water from rain, heavy usage, leaks, water over the side or transom. The plywood floor is not coated on the bottom side, there for it absorbs moisture, and taking on lots of water weight, all while slowly decomposing, and rotting. You may want to check that floor out, before the season hits.
    Sleek

txboatnut
    the plate that bolts to the floor is solid. It is where the seat bolts to the plate I have problems. I dont know how they were held in before because the seats were rotted away. Thanks for the resin tips.

Maybe shoot a picture and post it up here, and someone can chime in.
    Sleek

lilrick
    don't take big guys like me for a ride !!!!!!! your seats will appreciate it!!

Devilman
    the plate that bolts to the floor is solid. It is where the seat bolts to the plate I have problems. I dont know how they were held in before because the seats were rotted away. Thanks for the resin tips.
    You have any pics of it at all? I had to completely rebuild my interior, it was rotted all the way through. Seat frames, bases, everything. Took pictures of it all before I tore it apart so I would have something to look at as a guide, just in case..... My seat bases are all held in with aluminum angle, screwed to the floor....

kp216
    Kind of the same thing here D-Man. My original seat bases attached to strips of wood that were glassed to the hull/floor.
    When I redid the interior, I used 2" X 2" aluminum angle that I glassed to the floor/hull. The seat bases were then attached to the angle by stainless screws.
    That was almost 3 years ago and they're solid.

txboatnut
    rick kinda tough to follow your advice since I am a big guy . Anyway maybe this will help.

Well, I've never encountered that type mount, but could you employ, some wood inside the seat barrel, to bite the screws into? Should'nt be too big of a problem.
    Sleek

Devilman
    Haven't seen a seat mount set-up like that either. Almost looks like longer screws would grab it? When going back together with mine, even though I copied the original pieces, it didn't go back together exactly the same. Driver seat especially so, the bottom edge of the seat back was so rotten, I had to come up with another way to put it together. If that was mine I would try longer screws myself.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast