Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sand Seperators?

jeffroe
    while winterizing my motor i found sand in the water jackets of the block. not such a big deal but i am running an intercooler that i'm sure can get plugged up alot easier than the block. any advise :argue:

jbone
    If you run shallow like I do, you'll get lots of sand in the block. I've seen my back 2 cyls on each bank completely surrounded by sand.
    I recently put in the rubber freeze plugs and will flush the block after each season.
    I would think if you install a sand filter or something, you'll risk clogging the water intake and overheating the engine.
    Just my .02.
    J

HammerDown
    I filter both engine and header water with a (I believe) Perco filter.
    Can't recall the part # but it will stop a piece of sand, simply unscrew the top to clean out the screen/filter. I mount them above water level so when I clean out no water floods the boat. Once when I hit a sandbar it worked great. The Engine Block is clean and never had a clogged header line or stuck check ball on the Bassett-T.

CARLSON-JET
    check this thread out.. Rex is helpng with a fund raiser. these look really nice and it is for a good cause. http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129389

jeffroe
    looks like a good cause but i would think a clear canister to see where the sand level is would be the hot ticket.

HammerDown
    looks like a good cause but i would think a clear canister to see where the sand level is would be the hot ticket.
    And that's how my two are. As long as ya don't run shallow or use reverse to pull off a beach no need to always clean the filter. But I do notice at the end of the season my block is sand free and as I mentioned, never a clogged Basset T or injector line ever.

P-Money
    I've got a SuperStainer on my intercooler to stop the big stuff, but don't think the screen in it would stop sand or at least I've never seen any sand in it and I occasionally run in some shallow water. If you want to stop sand, you need this: http://www.hardin-marine.com/product..._strainers.htm
    I asked RexOne a while back if they had plans to develop an insert for a SuperStrainer to catch sand, unfortunately at this point, they didn't. If they did however, I'd be all over it.

jeffroe
    yes the hardin unit looks good!!!! P-MONEY are you on the blower forum at the same time or what :wink:

I've got a SuperStainer on my intercooler to stop the big stuff, but don't think the screen in it would stop sand or at least I've never seen any sand in it and I occasionally run in some shallow water. If you want to stop sand, you need this: http://www.hardin-marine.com/product..._strainers.htm
    I asked RexOne a while back if they had plans to develop an insert for a SuperStrainer to catch sand, unfortunately at this point, they didn't. If they did however, I'd be all over it.
    You're correct P-M the Superstrainer won't catch sand.
    I've got some ideas on the subject unfortunately no time to test them yet.

jbone
    That Hardin strainer looks real nice, but $600 :jawdrop:
    I'll keep cleaning my block out throught the rubber freeze plugs until the price drops to about $100.
    J

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast