Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starter solenoid ?

cave
    I have my boat wired like most I believe. I seen the diagrams from Liquid something or other .net I seen Mikes (396) set up and a few others that run chevy motors have another starter solenoid set up in addition to the one on the starter. Anyone have a wire diagram for that set up?
    I keep killing Starters. I get maybe 10 starts from them then the take a dump. My moter has always been a hard starting engine. I want to rewire the starter part of it.

460 jus getn it
    I have my boat wired like most I believe. I seen the diagrams from Liquid something or other .net I seen Mikes (396) set up and a few others that run chevy motors have another starter solenoid set up in addition to the one on the starter. Anyone have a wire diagram for that set up?
    I keep killing Starters. I get maybe 10 starts from them then the take a dump. My moter has always been a hard starting engine. I want to rewire the starter part of it.
    Jimmy, you want help let me know. You can drag the boat over and we will do it. Should take all of about 20 min. I dont have a diagram, but its real simple.

cave
    Thanks Ty. Mike gave me a part number to the Ford starter solenoid part but I lost it. I'll call Mike for the part number and pick it up.

460 jus getn it
    Thanks Ty. Mike gave me a part number to the Ford starter solenoid part but I lost it. I'll call Mike for the part number and pick it up.
    f496...How is that, let me know. Dont know when you want to do it, im out of town this weekend but free durning the week.........

cave
    OK I start my new job tomorrow so I call you next week to do it.

Jimmy...
    u need to ascertain the reason ur killing starters?...ur the only person that i have heard/read about that is haveing so much trouble with there starter!...i have run the same starter on my 427 for over 20 yrs without a hitch...is it possible that the timing is off...too much advance?...adding another solenoid is only masking the real prob!...get 'er fixed the rite way
    fastrat

Here's a diagram. You can use it with most aux. solenoids. Just be aware some ground through a post on the solenoid and some ground through the solenoid bracket. It DOES make a difference, you have to have a ground.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...uxsolenoid.jpg
    The purpose of the slave solenoid is to get full voltage to the Chevy solenoid instead of through the wire running clear up to the dash and back which in many cases creates a large voltage drop. Typical symtom of this is non-working starter when engine gets hot. The Chevy solenoid requires near full voltage to engage.
    This trick has also been used in automotive for decades. I first used it on old VW's in the 70's. Same problem, different vehicle.
    However this may not fix your problem as mentioned above. Lack of voltage to engage the Chevy solenoid should not result in a dead starter, only a non functioning starter. You may have other issues such as timing mentioned above or proper starter alignment / flywheel spacing, or junk starters....

cave
    Thanks guys. My first starter was on there for 6 years with no issues. Wasnt till it took a dump and I picked up a starter from Autozone. It could be the fact that its not a marine starter. The old Starter was huge. The new type is tiny.

Slacker
    Cave, I had aproblem about a month ago with my starter. Check it out if you want, its in gearheads under starter issues, if i remember correctly. I would do a voltage drop test to see where you stand. One reason was i had a worn battery , they said it was good but it would drain real fast...I have had an autozone battery on my old boat no problems. The one i took off my new boat was a rebuilt napa jobby.I put a AC Delco back on, no problems fired up second or third time. Good luck.... CT

79centurion
    I would get rid of that autozone starter, and use either a a/c delco, or a autolite from checker. Those autozone starters are garbage.
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast