Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: motor mount question, urgent!

Bradf
    Yea i was tapping shit around w/ a 2x4 and a hammer. Not the mount bolts though lol. The guard that protects the flywheel is also what holds the motor up. All the bolts are out of the Mount that goes from the flywheel guard to the Mount that mounts to the stringers... Problem is the cover needs to come forward around the starter/flywheel and the mounting blocks on the stringers wont allow the plate to move forward at all. I dont have access to any sort of hoist, the engine has a 2x4 under the oil pan (snug, not to tight and not to short) When we took the bolts out that bolt the block to the flywheel cover plate the motor didnt move so im pretty sure its good where it is =\ There should be no tention/pressure on the mounts that attach to the stringers...

Bradf
    Oh, and plenty of cursing. Plenty. No help at all!

Moneypitt
    [quote] What the heck are you talking about. Fiberglass, wood and hammers all go together!! Right, hahahahaha
    Don't forget the heat, you gotta have the heat, get that sucker cheery red, it'll come right out...........MP

Cole1313
    [quote] What the heck are you talking about. Fiberglass, wood and hammers all go together!! Right, hahahahaha
    Don't forget the heat, you gotta have the heat, get that sucker cheery red, it'll come right out...........MP
    I heard MAP gas is good for this type of application.
    But serisously. If you do not have a hoist, then how are you going to get the motor out of the boat??

If I'm following you correctly Brad from your other posts ... you're looking to move the engine forward to install your new flywheel? But your mounts are installed so you cannot? Can you not get to your driveline bolts to remove it if this is the case? Basically you're trying to get your flywheel cover off?
    I would head over to your local rental yard and rent a hoist for a day (like $20) ... would make this job a lot easier.
    If you do remove the bolts in your stringers ... I would reinstall the bolts with a sealant so that you do not ruin the integrity of the stringer (like silicone, etc.) ... wood and water over a period of time do not agree ...
    Good luck ... if you need to borrow a hoist and want to drive to the OC ... you can use mine.
    Brian

Devilman
    I heard MAP gas is good for this type of application.
    But serisously. If you do not have a hoist, then how are you going to get the motor out of the boat??
    Yeah, what he said? Other than that sounds like you got all the bases covered. First time I pulled my engine, it was a headache. All that stuff kinda grow together....

Bradf
    I had pulled the Cover on my Olds mans V-Drive... which is seperate from the motor mount... I assumed mine was the same before i dove into it and realized the mounting plate and the flywheel cover are the same (doh). Yea i just need to move the motor forward to get the flywheel cover off. Or i could go up and out with it... Dad has a Crane at his shop, i suppose i should wait until this weekend and lift the motor out of the hull.
    I got the driveshaft off. the rear mount bolts off, i pulled the headers off (For polishing woot). I -Think- all thats left is to take the front motor mount bolts out and then lift the bad boy straight up.
    Also, on the Mount that bolts through the stringers, i Turned 2 of the bolts about 3/4 of a turn (very hard to turn)... should i reseal them?

maxwedge
    Your Nuts !!!
    Max's boat repair manual states:
    Engine removal proceedure....
    1) Attempt to remove engine from boat using ordinary tools. If this is not possible see step 2.
    2)Use sawzall, chainsaw, or similar overkill device to remove boat from around the engine while laughing hysterically and screaming "That's right biotch. How ya like that shit huh? as you manically saw through the transom and floor in a hail of fiberglass and wood chips.
    WARNING-Step 2, may damage the boat beyond repair and it can be expensive, but it is immensely satisfying knowing that you have won the fight.

Well Brad ... you could use Max's method ... and you would win ... however, while it would be fun (more fun if you have drank a bunch) ... it could cost you a bit of $$$ ...
    I would wait until this weekend and use your Dad's crane. (kinda overkill ... but it'll work) ... and it's always a good idea to seal anything going through your stringer ... wood rot is a bad thing ... others might disagree, but I like to know if there is a problem ... like an unwanted killer wake ... that the water isn't going to deteriorate my stringers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast