Thread: Fuel Tank Question

SANTI
    I have a 20 ft. Schiada V-Drive with two 22 gal.
    tanks.The fuel is pulled from both tanks at the
    same time into a filter.Is this the right way to
    run or Would I be better off putting in a valve
    to switch tanks and run one at a time?
    Thank for the help

DUCKY
    There is nothing wrong with drawing fuel from both at once, but the problem is getting them to draw evenly. One tank will be more "dominant" than the other (goes empty first) and when it does, your motor will quit, even if the other one is full. Then you have to pull out the vice grips to clamp off the line to that tank to get it restarted. I like a tank selector valve myself, but if you want to run your setup, figure out which one is pulling faster, then put a valve on it to cut it down, until they draw even.
    Have Fun!

fastvdriver
    Drawing from both tanks is fine only if you have equal length from the tanks to the filter if the ele. pump has a return you must return to both tanks ran this system for years only about a 1 gallon draw differance.

sgdiv7
    Hey Ben, I agree with FASTDRIVER, run the two tanks tee together it works great for me also. Two 3/8's into a -10 to the pump.
    Bill

boatguy222
    I have the same boat (20'Schiada)I have always run off of both tanks at the same time, you will find that if you run the same lenth of fuel lines the tanks will draw down about the same, and if you run off only one tank, it will go down the lake leaning to one side.

superdave013
    I run a blance tube (-12 hose) between the 2 tanks.

superdave013:
    I run a blance tube (-12 hose) between the 2 tanks. This is the best method that "insures" even flow. Once one tank runs out of fuel for any reason the pump will suck air. Make your Tee takeoff point lower than the fuel outlets of the tanks and you'll have no problems even if you go up from there (in height) to a filter.