Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selecting the correct valve springs?

Speedin' Ian
    great, that's what I wanted to hear! Is there a special tool I need to press the seal on?

PE 316
    Ian,
    In my experience it is NOT uncommon for some of the (exhaust) valve seals to break-off on a BBC drag race prepared engine. Particularily if the springs are a little on the "weak" side. Just pay close attention to the clearances between the retainer and the valve guide (w/ seal installed) based on camshaft lift/spring pressure vs. RPM (Especially it is being run VERY hard - high RPM deal)
    In fact, I know that some people simply run without them...
    Tell your Dad that he should make sure to buy some GOOD valve springs!!
    (If NOT, then at least be prepared to change them often if you guys run it hard)
    To answer your other question, YES there is a "special tool" for installing valve stem seals.
    It is called a VALVE STEM INSTALLER. The one I have is made by "Comp Cams" (Part# 5334)
    Here is a "link" to their website:
    Comp Cams Valve Stem Installer (http://www.powerandperformancenews.c...Category_Code=)
    Mike Barnes
    P.S. - Tell your Dad that MY Dad received his e-mail the other day about the new engine, but his computer was "down" and has been unable to "reply". He said to tell you guys "Good Luck" and to "Have Fun" with the new bullet.

GofastRacer
    I just made my own, not as pretty but it works!..

Speedin' Ian
    Thanks for the advice Mike, that sounds about right! This motor has been run very hard, I think Wally was spinning about 8500rpms through the traps. We will probably put a taller gear in it so that spins no more than 8K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12