Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's a vertex magneto for bbc worth?

IMPATIENT 1
    i have a vertex mag and brand new monster recall mag tach that i'm thinkin about sellin and switching to all msd system. the mag. works perfect but i've always ran msd and will do the same on the tx, whata ya'll think a vertex mag @8-10yrs. old in perfect working order and the new tach are worth? i see mag's for 1k+ and the tach was expensive.thanks for any info guys, want to ask a fair price and sell it, not overprice it.
    the mag looks fine, the base needs polishing, the plug wires are shit and will be removed before sellin.i pulled it off my runnin tx-19.

Wicked Performance Boats
    You can buy a refurbished vertex mag complete with wires from Joe Hunt for $600-700 and the tach is worth $150 or so. So I say to a fellow ***boater $500 is fair. Budlight PS. Mags should be sent in every 2 yrs and recharged.

GofastRacer
    PS. Mags should be sent in every 2 yrs and recharged.
    A little info here on that, if you're talking about a Vertex there is never a reason to get them recharged unless they are subject to a magnetic field which will drain them, I ran mine for 22 years and it never mised a beat, just got it freshened up and now it's good for another 20yrs!.. I also had one sitting in the box for almost the same lenght of time and I put it in and the motor fired right up!..

Fiat48
    Geez that sounds high. Most I ever paid was $350 for a used one and bought many at $300. Super mag mallorys generally go for about the same.

Wicked Performance Boats
    I was told the racer trick of installing a piece of cardboard between the points. Helps store it without discharging the magnets and it won't bite you if you turn the shaft[shock]. Budlight

vee-driven
    To check if the mag is still charg, remove the cap and hold firmly with finger on the post and spin the shaft.

Fiat48
    No...have a "friend" do it.

GofastRacer
    I was told the racer trick of installing a piece of cardboard between the points. Helps store it without discharging the magnets and it won't bite you if you turn the shaft[shock]. Budlight
    Yeah I heard that too, but nothing discharges it but a magnetic field, just ask ZIG. As far as turning it over, don't see any reason to do that!..

LeE ss13
    Art ... Actually depending on the altitude, cosmic radiation from outer space will break down the magnetic field to half the strength in 10,000 years.

GofastRacer
    Art ... Actually depending on the altitude, cosmic radiation from outer space will break down the magnetic field to half the strength in 10,000 years.
    That's a good one Larry!..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast