Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using nozzle inserts?

wet77
    Anyone using nozzle inserts on there place diverter?
    If so what size and why?
    Did it make a difference?
    Thinking about trying it out on my berk JG
    inducer
    Bronze B aggressor
    jg bowl
    9* wedge
    snoot
    manual place diverter.
    On a 540 dart powered 21' daytona

Gearhead
    Yes. Nozzle pressure/velocity. Helps launch and speed. A good place to start on most boats with a B impellar and decent engine is the 3.125 insert.

Riverat84
    ihave the 3.125 and the 3.105 also....smaller hole, same amount of water, good stuff fo sho!
    Reid

Ken F
    wet77
    Yes, they are a great tuning tool. I'm running an agressor divirter w/changable nozzles & they make quite a noticible difference.
    However on my previous boat which was a much heaver v-bottom the difference was much less.
    Do you know anyone that has a nozzle with changable inserts that you could try for a weekend?
    Ken

wet77
    wet77
    Yes, they are a great tuning tool. I'm running an agressor divirter w/changable nozzles & they make quite a noticible difference.
    However on my previous boat which was a much heaver v-bottom the difference was much less.
    Do you know anyone that has a nozzle with changable inserts that you could try for a weekend?
    Ken
    No I do not, and I allready winterized the boat :cry:
    Its getting cold around here early this year, but its good to hear that its worth the money to machine out my place diverter and try a insert

Mr. Crusader 83
    mpd just finished my pump, and jack installed the teal colored one. not sure on the size. it had a red one in it before.

Gearhead
    FTN Violet = 3"
    FTN Turquoise = 3 1/16'
    FTN Red = 3 1/8"
    FTN Gold = 3 3/16"
    FTN Black = 3 1/4"

bp
    thrust, or force, is developed by the volume of water and the velocity of the water exiting the nozzle. increasing the nozzle diameter results in increased volume at reduced velocity. decreasing the diameter results in less volume at increased velocity.
    increasing nozzle diameter can give you greater acceleration from lower speeds because the increased volume provides a greater "push". but the reduced velocity means that the boat will top out earlier. also, increasing the volume out means more inlet volume is needed, so the pump is more susceptible to lower speed cavitation, until enough speed is obtained to supply needed volume. if no other changes are made, a significant increase can actually result in pump runnout at top speed (i.e., supply just won't keep up with the volume required).
    decreasing diameter increases velocity, and generally will help the volume of water push the boat to a slightly higher speed, if volume is sufficient to overcome the weight of the boat. because volume is slightly reduced, replacement isn't as crucial, and the pump is less susceptible to cavitation.
    you can go "too far" in either direction for your application. go too large, the boat won't have decent top end OR accelerate. same for too small - you can choke the thing to the point you're just not getting enough volume. the "g spot" for your application might be halfway between two of the manufactured sizes. the 3" or 3.0625" can be machined to half sizes if you really want to experiment.
    also, going from a 3.125 to a 3.185 results in a SIGNIFICANT change in volume/velocity, for a "given" pump and "given" applied hp. i wouldn't waste my time with a 3.25; i carry 9 different sized inserts around with me, and i don't have one of those.

wet77
    Thanks for the lesson BP, so the 3" or 3.0625" would be a good place to start?
    Now I never checked to see but what is a place diverter nozzle measure without the insert?
    I have the newer version (place brand) diverter with the kind of ride plate built into it if that would make any difference.
    I will try to add a pic to show you all.
    http://www.***boat.net/forums/attach...id=18732&stc=1

bp
    no prob.
    the od of ftn inserts is 3 15/16, so the id without the insert should be slightly over that to run the ftn's. pd nozzles can be purchased pre-machined for inserts, and if that was done, they would have machined to fit the ftn's.
    just check the od of yours to figure out what you need.
    i ran the 3" insert once, but that was all. see what the difference is between the 3.0625 and the others you have. a 3" can really increase suction pressure, depending how fast you're going.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast