Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roostwear

cyclone
    i fully understand the concern over liability. The reasoning for changing the event to an invite-only deal i dont agree with, but respect. I think the problem in some people's eyes is that its the equivelant of "taking your ball and going home.", especially after the fun a lot of folks had at the previous events. Lots of us were looking forward to the next one. Hell i didn't even get an invite and I've done my best to try and promote not only the event but roostwear's site and clothing line as well.

Cas
    We kicked the idea around of making TP5, last year's event, invitation only. The problem is/was where do you draw the line? and what is the line about in the first place? drinking? rebel rousers? both?
    We have a short list of people that aren't welcome based on past experiences but we've been lucky so far, those people haven't returned. More than likely they didn't have all that good a time with the rest of us anyway.
    I think there's been quite a few people that have attended one or more of our outings that didn't "click" with the group as a whole and that's ok. As the article said, we're pretty laid back with very little drama. It doesn't matter what kind of boat a person has nor what kind of shape it's in, it's all about having a good time, meeting new folks and eating real good food. Sometimes I wonder if the food hasn't become the central focus

wsuwrhr
    The reasoning for changing the event to an invite-only deal i dont agree with, but respect. I think the problem in some people's eyes is that its the equivelant of "taking your ball and going home.", especially after the fun a lot of folks had at the previous events. Lots of us were looking forward to the next one. Hell i didn't even get an invite and I've done my best to try and promote not only the event but roostwear's site and clothing line as well.
    Roost obviously felt he was hanging out there more than he wanted to. Whatever his reasons are, they aren't really our business. At least that is how I feel about it.
    Please make sure you list the next get together at your house, I'll be offended if I don't recieve an invitation.

Brian

Mighty Thor
    I understand where Mike is coming from. In a country where there are probably more lawyers than registered boat owners you can never be too careful. We have warnings on coffee cups telling you that the contents are hot for Gods sake due to a lawsuit. It takes only one wreck and an ambulance chasing lawyer and even if the boat driver was totally cool and would never think to sue, his family may. There is a certain degree of liability involved and without every attendee signing a waiver and then some you are still partially responsible somehow. You can still have a get together just change the name. Simple. Besides, do you really want a bunch of drunks on the beach as your safety crew? When we play it is responsibly with the pontoon boat out to pick up anyone who is tossed and most wear lifelines if not cheesy ski jackets. My $.02 because that is all I can afford.
    Cy
    yep its always the lawyers fault. I think I will quit helping injured people get money from insurance companies. They probably have more need for it than someone hurt through no fault of their own.
    :rollside:

There is absolutly nothing wrong with Mike's choice to pull out on the FB deal. Life goes on and he has his invite only gig.Thats great..
    The bottomline is most of us want to go to the river as a group and meet new people and see new boats on the water.I personally want to see the hotrod scene grow and Im more than convinced the scene has grown over the past few years after seeing all the new boats being laid up,expensive engines being built along with the growing intrest in bringing your hotrod to run river racer class with njba.Id like to think its only going to get bigger if we continue to do these events and I personally believe the internet will play a role in the river hotrodder scene.Roostwear's FB events to the public may be done, but we will continue to hit it like we did all last summer and before Roost's FB deals were ever born.
    If we simply promote the events like we did for 6th street everything will be fine.6th street was hands down the most "stacked" event ever by a longshot, there was some serious equiptment there along with alot of players in the industry.There were no names tied to the event,no websites for the event, there wasn't a "movie night",there were no t-shirts, there was no schedule and we had a blast.The only issue was the location, that place just isnt set up for something like that.
    Sure there is always going to be some dumbass who makes a stupid choice, we as a group can simply ask that person to leave, and not come back. Its a process of weeding them out.
    Again, nothing against Mikes decisions and I do thank him for putting it all togethor in the past, myself and my better half enjoyed ourselves.
    Chris

Cas
    Sure there is always going to be some dumbass who makes a stupid choice, we as a group can simply ask that person to leave, and not come back. Its a process of weeding them out.
    Chris
    That right there is probably one of the most important things to keep this whole thing going. The more people you can get involved with the planning, monitoring, policing or whatever, the better an outing can be.
    The issue I personally had with what was going on is people were really ridiculing Mike and that is flat out wrong. If they don't like his decision, that's fine. There just isn't any good reason to mock him for it.
    just my opinon

victorfb
    i fully understand the concern over liability. The reasoning for changing the event to an invite-only deal i dont agree with, but respect. I think the problem in some people's eyes is that its the equivelant of "taking your ball and going home.", especially after the fun a lot of folks had at the previous events. Lots of us were looking forward to the next one. Hell i didn't even get an invite and I've done my best to try and promote not only the event but roostwear's site and clothing line as well.
    mike, unfortunatly you are coaught between a rock and a hrad place sort of speak. what many seem to be confused about is this invite only deal. its actually an open invitation from what i gather. you are told that you can invite and inform anyone you feel that wont put it in the public eye as for time and place as to keep the bad element out. unfortunatly you have been passed over by reasons of what im guessing is that since you and your boat have such a large following and are in the mainstream of hot boating and its events, you may have been looked over and noone wanted to be the one to spill the beans sort of speak. im sure mike appreciates all the promotion you have done for him and his buisness, but unfortunatly with the FC stuff it has to be kept out of the mainstream for obvious reasons. now with all of this now coming out into the public forums, it will be very difficult for mike im sure to be able to keep a lid on any FC event at all. it all boils down to this. you get the date and place and are trusted to keep it to yourself and if you trust a friend, you can invite him/her aswell. but it only takes ONE person to leak it on the forums and allow the "punks" to get wind of it. its all a matter of keeping it low key to keep the spirit alive.

Heatseeker
    ... Sometimes I wonder if the food hasn't become the central focus
    Steve, you know, I was just saying to myself that the only reason I show up every year is the food :wink: .
    I can't blame roost for wanting to tone down his deal. It's his arse if the shiat hits the fan. I've had conversations with Steve on this very subject. It's easy to see that it only takes one loose person to really screw things up for everybody, especially the promoter.
    I just hope that the promoters keep promoting and the boaters keep on keeping in line. These things are way too much fun to let disappear!

cyclone
    Roost obviously felt he was hanging out there more than he wanted to. Whatever his reasons are, they aren't really our business. At least that is how I feel about it.
    Please make sure you list the next get together at your house, I'll be offended if I don't recieve an invitation.

Brian
    Right because that's exactly the same thing.

cyclone
    mike, unfortunatly you are coaught between a rock and a hrad place sort of speak. what many seem to be confused about is this invite only deal. its actually an open invitation from what i gather. you are told that you can invite and inform anyone you feel that wont put it in the public eye as for time and place as to keep the bad element out. unfortunatly you have been passed over by reasons of what im guessing is that since you and your boat have such a large following and are in the mainstream of hot boating and its events, you may have been looked over and noone wanted to be the one to spill the beans sort of speak. im sure mike appreciates all the promotion you have done for him and his buisness, but unfortunatly with the FC stuff it has to be kept out of the mainstream for obvious reasons. now with all of this now coming out into the public forums, it will be very difficult for mike im sure to be able to keep a lid on any FC event at all. it all boils down to this. you get the date and place and are trusted to keep it to yourself and if you trust a friend, you can invite him/her aswell. but it only takes ONE person to leak it on the forums and allow the "punks" to get wind of it. its all a matter of keeping it low key to keep the spirit alive.
    The only person following me to the river is my wife. But whatever you guys have fun and be safe out there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast