Thread: old cam new lifters

dgie
    I have to replace my lifters due to pitting(do not know why, comp said that the lifters may have a bad coating on them). The motor has been run for about 5 hours. I have to replace the old lifters with new ones, is this acceptable. I know you can not put old lifters on a new cam or another cam. Please let me know.

Kindsvater Flat
    I have run new lifters on an old cam and never had a problem. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't happen though.

Putting new lifters on an old cam is acceptable. You must, however, treat it just like a new cam/lifter install and perform the break in process all over again. I would also recommend making a very close inspection on all the lobes of that cam for any sign of damage or wear.

H2OT PURSUIT
    Did you ask Comp Cams about new lifters/old cam, when you talked to them about your lifters? If so what do they say? I've always heard it was OK. I have done it , but I guess I could have just been lucky.

BGMAN203
    The only time I know of that you can youse old lifters on a new cam is in roller cam applications..(its a good thing because thoes lifters are too damn expensive). Otherwise you cant mix up old lifters with any cam combination. Anytime I had lifter wear or damage it was a good excuse to just put in a bigger pumbstick!

ColeTR1
    Kindsvater Flat:
    I have run new lifters on an old cam and never had a problem. Me too!!

Moneypitt
    It's a total CRAP shoot.......NEVER, NEVER, mix flat tappet, new/old cam/lifters. It WILL fail, period!!! It may not fail today, but cam/lifter life WILL suffer, and how much wear will happen before you realize there is a problem...NEVER,NEVER........Moneypitt