Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Al-Qaida nukes already in U.S. ?!?

RUSHIN ROULETTE
    So the terrorists have nukes...we have Chuck Norris, there has to be some kind of balance.
    Good guys wear black....

OutCole'd
    I am certainly not some doomsday lunatic......just thinking it might be worthwhile to have a couple weeks worth of canned food and a couple extra boxes of shells around to protect you and your family. Propane, a generator...hell at least have a plan. If its all bullsh*t, stay complacent and happy. I am putting a couple extra jugs of water in the pantry. :220v:
    I know where I'm heading when the shit hits the fan.

RiverDave
    RD Sux
    While that may be true, I'd also like to point out that the U.S. is equipped with radio active sensors all over the place. If you've even been remotely around anything radio active and are in a major city their going to know about it. Some fire departments even have small censors that go off. Point in fact some guy just had chemo awhile back, and ended up getting surrounded by the authorities, becuase it triggered a sensor in his local fire department when he walked by it. (That's how unbelievably sensitive and accurate these things are)
    They are currently working on un manned blimps that will fly over incoming ports with a variety of sensors, as well as blimps to patrol over major cities that detect a variety of different things involving terrorism.
    I have no doubt that more attacks are on the way, and I also think that no matter what we are going to be put into a "reactive" situation almost everytime.. (As in it's going to happen whether we like it or not and then we'll respond) but I find it pretty hard to believe that somebody is going to sneak anything nuclear into the states without someone finding out about it within minutes. As well if it's in a major city and being put together, they'll find it before any terrorist ever gets a chance to put his finger on the trigger.
    RD

UltraClean
    all of this because they are promised 72 virgins.....dont know about you guys but id like 72 "experienced" women instead

PlyaPlya22
    Very intresting!

CARLSON-JET
    While that may be true, I'd also like to point out that the U.S. is equipped with radio active sensors all over the place. If you've even been remotely around anything radio active and are in a major city their going to know about it. Some fire departments even have small censors that go off. Point in fact some guy just had chemo awhile back, and ended up getting surrounded by the authorities, becuase it triggered a sensor in his local fire department when he walked by it. (That's how unbelievably sensitive and accurate these things are)
    They are currently working on un manned blimps that will fly over incoming ports with a variety of sensors, as well as blimps to patrol over major cities that detect a variety of different things involving terrorism.
    I have no doubt that more attacks are on the way, and I also think that no matter what we are going to be put into a "reactive" situation almost everytime.. (As in it's going to happen whether we like it or not and then we'll respond) but I find it pretty hard to believe that somebody is going to sneak anything nuclear into the states without someone finding out about it within minutes. As well if it's in a major city and being put together, they'll find it before any terrorist ever gets a chance to put his finger on the trigger.
    RD
    I find the red statements to be laughable . The donothings we have in Washington were not prepared on 9/11 and to this day are not prepared.
    The statement in orange I find very sad but true. Durring the last attack the only poeple to launch any type of offensive were very brave citizens. God bless them, True American.

***boat
    In my opinion there is a slim chance of nuclear weapons being detonated on U.S. soil by a terrorist organization. Simply put nuclear material is very difficult if not impossible to hide from detection. Airplanes can see the thermal radiation from a human body at altitude. Nuclear radiation is significantly stronger and detectable at greater ranges. This might just be speculation on my part, but to my knowledge there is very little you can do to stop the escape of radiation. Lead, DU and other materials reduce the escape of radiation, but they do not completely stop it.
    Additionally as far as weight and portability goes, you don't need a ton of explosives to detonate a nuke. But if you only have a little bit of explosive, you can only detonate a little bit of radioactive material. Even the U.S.'s smallest confirmed nuclear weapon the W-54 had a yield of 6 kT, and it would also be unlikely that someone would get their hands on such an advanced weapon as W54. The W54 is believed to be the smallest nuclear weapon ever built and possibly the smallest nuke possible.
    Given the expense, complexity and likelihood that the weapon will not even detonate a terrorist would still probably be better off with a conventional based explosive. I don't have a reference for this, but I did see some speculation that the nuke detonated by North Korea might have been something they had sitting on the shelf made by Russia. If that's the case then concerns that older nuclear weapons may have degraded past the point where they are able to fully detonate could be true.
    Side note:
    In my opinion, the real threat is still chemical, biological, or a conventional attack on a U.S. based reactor. I am still amazed every year when this doesn't happen. There is only one explanation for this, and that is that the CIA and FBI is doing a better job than anyone including themselves can give credit for.
    Intelligence is an un-rewarding field, and often times you have to go in front of the cameras and say you ****ed up when it was a success just to protect the methods that will allow that method to succeed in the future. Give some credit to the government, politics is a screwed up world, but with the bad there is a lot of good.
    References (some good reading)
    Nuclear Detection Equipment
    http://www.thermo.com/com/cda/market...00.html?ca=rmp
    http://www.novascientific.com/snm.html
    W54 and the Davy Crockett rocket
    http://www.brook.edu/FP/projects/nucwcost/davyc.HTM
    Nuke Construction
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosive_lens
    Janes take on nuke test
    http://www.janes.com/security/intern...1009_2_n.shtml

reDECKulous
    909 isn't looking so bad after all...

Sportin' Wood
    Will my tin foil covered armadillo helmet offer me any relief from the fallout?
    We have other forms of radiation out in the 909. :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
    All very good points....especially, the idea of being prepared. Depending on the government when the shit hits the fan is a bad idea....as shown in the aftermath of Katrina.
    Water, food, bullets, cash, gold/silver, and a full tank of gas....I noticed Phoenix and Havasu aren't on the list of cities......let's meet at the Naked Turtle? :idea:
    :cry:
    Yeah, but they are down wind unfortunately.
    I don't generally buy into the whole doomsday hype either, but these people have proven to exploit our weaknesses (spelling not among them. ) The southern border of this country has been weak for a long time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast