Thread: Another Q from me...

Bradf
    Some of the bolts holding the pump on to the transom are sunk into the hull fairly deep. I was wondering if this was a common problem, or am I in for a huge project having to re-do the back end of my boat? Ill get some pics up by this weekend if you guys needs them to help out!

BigBlockBaja
    If ya poke the area around the bolts with a screwdriver, does it feel soft?

Some boats don't have plywood in the area where, the transom adapter is. If the wood is soft, it's not the end of the world, as there is not a tremendous amount of movement on the transom. Except for the setback pump installs, there is a little more at stake then.
    Sleek

Moneypitt
    I assume you are talking about the nuts/washers on the inside of the transom. There are a couple of ways to make it better. Either larger washers that spread the load out, or 1/4" aluminum strips, 1" wide, from top to bottom with matching holes for the longer bolts to feed thru, then the nyloc nuts and washers. This method spreads the load even better to the entire area under the aluminum strip. This is a common problem as these bolts are frequenty overtightened..............MP

Bradf
    Yea on the inside of the transom a couple of the holes are maybe 3/8 or half inch sunk in. The transom itself is pretty thick (wish i could measure, boats in storage though) If I just use a larger washer (they only have 1/4" washers on them now) say a 1/4" Fender washer then? Or should i fill empty space where the smaller washer has already sunk in with something?

Aluminum Squirt
    Screw the aluminum plate, replace that entire transom with aluminum, while you're at it replace the bottom, sides, deck, stringers, bulkheads, and tank with aluminum :boxed: . Bolts don't pull through aluminum-Aluminum Squirt