Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The weather finally provoked me

Debbolas
    Yum, sounds good.....I'm making Chili next week
    Have you ever made it with chunks of meat instead of ground meat?

BajaMike
    Never heard of mushrooms in Chili, but it sounds good. :idea:
    The Ro*tel tomatoes really make it.....they are spicey and good. We used to make a cheesy dip for tortilla chips with Rotel tomatoes which we learned in New Orleans. Take a pound or two of Velveeta cheese, cube it up in a bowl, add 1 can of partially drained Ro*tel tomatoes, and microwave or double boil it until warm and creamy.
    Dip in while hot with the chips.....yummy, and low fat
    http://www.texmex.net/Graphics/rotellogo.gif
    :rollside: :rollside:
    http://www.texmex.net/Graphics/rotel.gif

SmokinLowriderSS
    Never heard of mushrooms in Chili, but it sounds good.
    The Ro*tel tomatoes really make it.....they are spicey and good. We used to make a cheesy dip for tortilla chips with Rotel tomatoes which we learned in New Orleans. Take a pound or two of Velveeta cheese, cube it up in a bowl, add 1 can of partially drained Ro*tel tomatoes, and microwave or double boil it until warm and creamy.
    Beware those "extra Hot" ones. i opened a couple cans for a batch once, and the habanero fumes started peeling the stain off of the cabinet doors above the pot.
    The mushrooms make more of a "texture" thing but don't really alter the flavor much.
    We like to add ground beef and Pace Chipotle Salsa to your cheese dip above. Oh, and we start with Mexican Velveta. Yes, damn yummmmyyy.
    Feel free to try my recipe, that's why I posted it. I spent about 4 yrs "perfecting" it back in the late '90's. I think it's really good, and so does anyone who has had it.

Old Texan
    Never heard of mushrooms in Chili, but it sounds good. :idea:
    :rollside: :rollside:
    Add some sausage or Chorizo to the cheese dip if you want to really do it.
    Eliminates the low fat part though...... :cry:

deltaAce
    Thanks for sharing the recipe, looks good, I'll try some.
    I remember Carol Shelby used to market a chilli recipe,
    it came in a brown sack with the recipe on it.

BajaMike
    Add some sausage or Chorizo to the cheese dip if you want to really do it.
    Eliminates the low fat part though...... :cry:
    I was joking about the low fat thing......there is nothing with Velveeta in it thats even close to low fat..... :skull:

SmokinLowriderSS
    I was joking about the low fat thing......there is nothing with Velveeta in it thats even close to low fat..... :skull:
    That's some truth right there!
    I've had Carol Shelby's, although, something called "6-gun chili" came in the same sack ...... Both good.
    I grew up on another prepared seasoning setup that was similar "2-alarm chili" in king of a cardboard flat wrapped in celophane. Good stuff, there's my basic chili style. It's really the same as the other 2 IMO.

Washed Ashore
    Well I tried your recipe,I have to be honest it has some really funky flavors,the cinnamon stick and the A-1 ruin it.If you like classic "RANCH STYLE"chile this recipe is not for you.My wife can whip up a batch in 30 minutes that taste better,We thru 5 quarts away.I normaly make my kids eat what is made,not last nite.The corn bread was good though.
    Jeff

THATJEFFGUY
    As a judge for the International Chili Society for many years, I've obviously tasted my share of chili concoctions..some bad, some worse ! A couple pointers...less tomato sauce, more cumin, and NO beans !! Here's a pretty basic recipe for a true "Bowl of Red".
    3 lbs Tri-tip cut in 1/4" cubes
    1 cup Onion very finely ground
    5 cloves Garlic very finely ground
    2 Ortega Chili Peppers
    2 cans Chicken Broth
    1 can Tomato Sauce
    10 Tbsp Chili Powder..yes 10 !
    2 Tbsp Cumin
    1 tsp Salt
    1 Tbsp Hot New Mexico Chili Powder
    Sautee meat in 1 tsp Wesson oil
    Drain and set aside
    In a large pot, simmer for 1 hour....
    2 cans Chicken Broth
    1 can Tomato Sauce
    Garlic
    Onion
    Chili peppers
    Salt
    All chili powders and cumin
    Add meat and simmer for another hour..salt to taste

SmokinLowriderSS
    Well I tried your recipe,I have to be honest it has some really funky flavors,the cinnamon stick and the A-1 ruin it.If you like classic "RANCH STYLE"chile this recipe is not for you.My wife can whip up a batch in 30 minutes that taste better,We thru 5 quarts away.I normaly make my kids eat what is made,not last nite.The corn bread was good though.
    Jeff
    Sorry to hear, to each their own.
    I have never made it with A-1 as I think the sharper, less sweet tang of the Heinz-57 is a better fit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast