Thread: need help on engine information

will a 1983 2.8 v6 carb. engine interchange with a 1986 2.8 f.i. engine?. are there difference's in the block? i need to change all the stuff from the 83 to the 86. the 86 was in a cadillac cimmeron and the 83 is in a s-10. thanks
    pat(slotracer) :idea:

Pat, that could be a hard question to answer. GM made some changes to that engine in about 85. Most notable was the change from a two-piece rear main seal to a one-piece. This came about as the result of a change in the diameter of the main bearings. One book I have also states a difference in the weight of a front-drive bare block versus a rear-drive bare block, with the front drive being lighter. Makes me think they machined off a little extra weight someplace. Might have been just for clearance or maybe it was something that would only be needed in rear-drive configuration. Only sure way to tell would be side by side comparison.
    Something else to consider is that this vehicle will have to pass a smog check. I doubt that the cam used for the FI version will be the same as the one for a carb. Could cause some problems come smog check time, especially since those 2.8 carb motors had enough issues passing smog in the first place.
    Have you considered a GM reman long block? If you start running into parts interchange issues with the Cimarron engine, you might be time and money ahead just buying a direct replacement.

craig that is a thought that has crossed my mind. when i started looking at the engine. :cry:
    pat(slotracer) :rollside:

Sleek-Jet
    GM Perfomance sells a direct replacemant 3.4 liter for the 60* V6's.
    I believe also, after having looked at the ad for those, that the S-10 V6's had a different bolt patern than the FWD engines.
    Is the engine for the Cimmiron or the S10??

i bought this truck with the intend of selling it because i had the other 2.8 in a car that i needed to get rid of. i really did not want to spend a bunch of money on it.
    pat(slotracer) :cry:

Pat, what's wrong with the engine in the truck?

it goes KNOCK KNOCK. :crossx:
    pat(slotracer) :rollside:

While in college in the early 80's I worked on the weekends at the machine shop where I started. My boss had gotten a contract from a large engine re-man shop to rough balance early model 2.8 cranks to use in later model engines. We milled part of the counterweight off of the crank then rough balanced it. The engine you use must have the corresponding flywheel and damper.
    I think I balanced like 1000 of these out of a contract for 5 or 6 thousand units. I can tell you as a starving student it was good money....

tbanzer
    I dont know specifics but fwd blocks are different than rwd blocks.