Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olds 455 HP

Tahiti Doug
    Does anyone have information on stock horsepower rating on original Olds 455 installed in a '73 Tahiti? Were there different HP versions that year? What cam cam in these engines? It has KA heads and that is all I know so far. Not looking to modify it. Just curious.

fastsanger
    man you should talk to anthony 75 his olds flys, I bet he knows alot about oldsmo biles

sidewound
    In my 72 Sidewinder I think the original olds packajet package was 325. I saw an original Cobrajet a few weeks ago wth a hardin intake and exhaust manifolds as well as hardin valve covers embossed with "Low compression 325 HP" I Think a 360 horse version may have been available also. I'm not positive. The low comression olds setup that was in many of that eras boats was the 325. Mine ran for 30 years in my boat with only a junkyard set of heads once. OH YEAH! When my mill came apart we found pistons with the original GM numbers on em. 8-1 on the left bank and 8.5-1 on the other. Probably an
    "I'm not goin for another set of pistons" deal.
    I was amazed it ran that long. An oil leak was finally it's demise.
    Peace Man
    CESAR

Tahiti Doug
    I purchased the boat from the original owner who told me that it had labels on the valve covers that said 390hp. He claims he had to remove them in order to get insurance. But who knows what to believe when someone is selling something. The maximum hp rating on the metal boat ID tag specifies 390 hp maximum. That would lead me to believe that there must have been some engine available with that hp in that year. Maybe it was for an optional BB Chevy?

malcolm
    The high performance 455 Olds marine engines were rated at 390 hp.

Anthony75
    I purchased my boat from the original owner and it came with the actual owners manual for oldsmobile hardin marine engines. according to the manual there were 5 horsepower versions available. H240, H295, H324, H320 and H405 each number represents the horsepower rating. The first hp rating is for a 350 and the rest were for a 455. The first three hp ratings had the engine serial # stamped on the port side of the engine on the machined surface just above the alternator spacer. The last two hp rating engines had the serial # stamped onto the engine block on the rear port corner, just under the end of the port head assembly. My boat came with the H324 version. It has the numbers stamped just above the alternator and the original owner told me what model he ordered. Hope this helps.

victorfb
    i have a 1974 , 18'tahiti "runabout". thats what it says on the title. the 455 olds has a sticker on the bell housing plate that says Harman marine 390 HP 455. it also had the "K" heads till a buddy borrowed the boat and it came back with the valve seats popped out. i found a set of "G" heads, had them redone, then took em home for a mild porting. gained about 400 RPM. not sure what the cam specs are sorry.

Tahiti Doug
    Mine is a "Harman Marine". When ever I tell someone Harman, they usually reply "you mean Hardin". I will look for some numbers or labels on the engine. Also I have noticed that the Harmon exhaust manifolds are somewhat larger and appear to be free flowing compared to other Olds marine manifolds I have seen. Any thoughts on the manifolds?

sidewound
    Tahiti Doug,
    Do the Harman Logs look like this?
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114moto_001-med.jpg[/img]
    I think the ones I saw the other day may have been Harman. Do you have the matching intake manifold and rocker boxes? Let's see a pic dude. You got my curiosity up.
    Peace Man
    CESAR

victorfb
    i have the "harman marine" logs aswell, and they do not look like the ones in the pic. mine are a bit larger around. but the ports do have that sweep to them. i also have a set that looks very similar to the ones in the pic except the ports dont angle like that as much, but i think they say performance something or another. i didnt like them nearly as much as i did the harmans when i looked inside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast